Before I Dump Out My Stout...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abp02

Reaction score
...any good uses for a few bottles, besides the obvious drinking it?

Having tried Bells Porter and enjoying it, I dived in to their Expedition Stout not realizing it was almost $20 for a sixer (someone picked it up for me). Needless to say its not my type of beer. I made it through two bottles but have no one to pawn the rest off on who would enjoy it. Any options before I pour money down the drain? :(

walk down to your local bar and ask the bartender if (s)he can help you out with your "problem". depending on where in the midwest you are from, i might be able to help you out. are you in cleveland or columbus (ohio)?

Expedition Stout is a RIS, which has a high ABV. Put it down in your basement, forget about it, and in a few years when you've gain a palate for RIS it will be NICELY aged.

Of course the store won't take it back but I hadn't considered a bar/pub....nah I'm in central Missouri.

I can't get Bells here in Upstate NY. You could send them to me and I will paypal the $12 ($20/six - 2 Beers) plus shipping...

Please.

Would you by any chance be interested in just an even trade for something you can get up there but I can't get here? Private message me if you're interested

Holy S! you want to dump your $20 microbrew down the drain????!!!! First, you're elfin crazy, second, if you don't like the brew, consider that your palette may be the problem. Sure i've had beers that i don't like.....and they were all made by AB, Coors, and Miller and certainly not $20/sixer. Sure i've made homebrew that i really really didn't like, but i drank it regardless, you have to learn your lesson and take your medicine. Like Cyberwollf said, put it in the basement and let it age........in the meanwhile, drink some other beers and develop your palette, then you can go back to this beer and appreciate it at least. you don't have to love a beer to respect it within its style.......if you're a true brewer, you can do that. The only reason to dump a beer is if it's contaminated. Don't do it. If you do, turn in your man card.

If that beer goes down the drain without passing through SOMEONE'S kidneys first, I promise to hunt you down and punch you in the dick. :D

i'm with Cat........u dump that brew and karma is get you, someone is going to definitely punch the **** out of you, and you will have deserved it, i wish that person was me. 20 years old? you're out of your effin mind. just drink some natty light until you are old enough to understand what beer is. you're an amateur drunk, it's shameful really

First off I never thought that being truthful about my birth date on this forum would cause an issue. Who is to say I can't appreciate quality crafted and flavorful beer because I'm not of legal drinking age in this country? Sure, I've had my fair share of cheap BMC beer and still will as the occasion causes for it. I'm in college at a state University and it's not always appropriate to sip on good beer or cost allowable for that matter. However, I will say my palette for craft beer has progressed FAR beyond 95% of people my age and a good amount of people that post on this board I'm willing to say. Why else would I be into the hobby of brewing my own homebrew? It's interesting and I enjoy rewarding my efforts with a quality beer.

Now, to be completely honest, I wouldn't have poured four fine beers down the drain. What I was looking for in this post was creative ideas or suggestions from the homebrew community to help me enjoy what I have, although I've realized stouts still aren't my type. Possibly make a black and tan? A perfect suggestion to someone for a trade who may not be able to get Bells beer?

To those with constructive suggestions, thank you. The rest, please look beyond the surface of my statement and also realize not all kids are ignorant drunks who drink with the only intention of getting drunk...(okay many are though)

How about trade them with another craft beer aficionado for beers you like?

Exactly what I am looking to do. As I said earlier because nearly all people my age aren't into beer like I am, I have no one to trade with locally. Already thought about it. Really wanting to get a variety sixer of DFH from someone on the East coast. If anyone is interested please let me know! Before anyone throws out the age issue, note that its a bit counter-intuitive to hesitate because of that when it is technically illegal to ship beer to anyone. At least from what I've gathered reading on here.

If I had apartment space to keep it for months I would ride it out but I don't....It's ready to ship out now.

Who is to say I can't appreciate quality crafted and flavorful beer because I'm not of legal drinking age in this country?

The federal government. You also can't enjoy it and talk about it here. Who says? The User Agreement you agreed to when signing up for this forum. Sorry, it's a legal liability for the forum owner. We'd love to have you have in a year though.:mug:

The federal government. You also can't enjoy it and talk about it here. Who says? The User Agreement you agreed to when signing up for this forum. Sorry, it's a legal liability for the forum owner. We'd love to have you have in a year though.:mug:

Nicely said (now why didn't I say that).

indy-threadlock.gif

Make that a few months :rockin:

The federal government says I can drink in my home under supervision of a parent. In my own place, I make the rules until there's reasonable cause for anyone else to discover it ;)

Anyways to keep this from being a back and forth argument that goes nowhere I'll sit back and lurk until my birthday I suppose.

Make that a few months :rockin:

The federal government says I can drink in my home under supervision of a parent. In my own place, I make the rules until there's reasonable cause for anyone else to discover it ;)

Anyways to keep this from being a back and forth argument that goes nowhere I'll sit back and lurk until my birthday I suppose.

No lurking until you're 21.

You agreed to the forum rules when you signed up. If you're not 21, you can't be on this forum.

See you after July.

i tried Guinness when i turned 21. It was actually the first beer i ever ordered while i was of age. I thought it awful and nasty. 5 years later stouts and imperial stouts make up at least half my cellar stash. I can drink Guinness like its water. I love stouts now. keep it and stash it and in a year or 4. Then you can thank us.

Guinness draught is very watery and low in alcohol, i like it but don't prefer it at all. i'm sure you have the extra stout in your cellar tho, which is world's different. i heard it tastes so much different in ireland. the best guiness i've had was their 200th anniversary special brew that came out early in 2010, wish they'd put that into their permanent rotation.

Back