GF non-homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dorklord

Reaction score
In attempting to catch up on the forum, I noticed at least 1 GF brew I've never heard of before mentioned.

Now, in my area I can get Redbridge (AB), New Grist (Lakefront Brewery), and way up by green bay I once bought a 6 pack of Bard's. Sprecher apparently makes Mbege and Shakparo, but I've never encountered either 'in the wild'.

I'm going to be taking a motorcycle trip to the Ozarks (from WI) this summer, and if there are any breweries that make GF beer I can hit up on the route, of if there are any local GF beers available at stores that I can hit along the way, I'd love to do it.

And, for that matter, I've never found a lot of good information about the various GF beers that are available around the country. The various GF web sites I've checked out seem to acknowledge that a couple companies make something, and that's as far as they go.

So, what GF beers are available in YOUR area?

Small town, so not many options.

Deschutes, Bards, New Grist, Redbridge, Greens.

That's not a bad list of options (Originally my only option was Redbridge, but I begged and begged a local store to order me some New Grist, and had to travel 200 miles to get the Bard's...)

I've been keeping my eye out for Green's, but haven't found seen it for sale anywhere.

I know they have Greens & the others in the Milwaukee area at the local Woodman's. Most are just off the freeway, especially the one near Kenosha if your headed that way.

I've also seen St. Peters at Woodman's as well. Its in a green oval bottle that is pretty unique.

I wish I knew a place to get Deschutes locally, haven't had that one yet.

That's not a bad list of options (Originally my only option was Redbridge, but I begged and begged a local store to order me some New Grist, and had to travel 200 miles to get the Bard's...)

I've been keeping my eye out for Green's, but haven't found seen it for sale anywhere.

Well, it's not, but when I compare it to what I could get in Eugene or Portland it's far less. This is Oregon after all, even my town has whole stores dedicated to beer.

I know they have Greens & the others in the Milwaukee area at the local Woodman's. Most are just off the freeway, especially the one near Kenosha if your headed that way.

I've also seen St. Peters at Woodman's as well. Its in a green oval bottle that is pretty unique.

I wish I knew a place to get Deschutes locally, haven't had that one yet.

I'll have to check that out, we've got a woodman's here in La Crosse, but they don't have it (and looked at me like I was crazy when I asked).

I already suggested to my wife that one of our 'butt break in' rides this spring should be to Milwaukee to take a tour at Lake Front brewery, so maybe we'll have to stop by a Woodman's to pick up a few cases...

I already suggested to my wife that one of our 'butt break in' rides this spring should be to Milwaukee to take a tour at Lake Front brewery, so maybe we'll have to stop by a Woodman's to pick up a few cases...

I can't recommend a Lakefront tour enough! My fiance gets full bottles of GF beer compared to my 8oz samples if she can find the right people working. And its fun as all getup for a beer tour. If I got to go once a month I'd be a very happy man.

New guy here, You need to try Daura by Estrella. I can only imagine it uses the same protein eliminator that is mention on other parts of this site. This beer was ok'd by GF society because it only has less then 6ppm of gluten. I live in NH and can get it and all the others mentioned here. I cannot wait to start my own brew though!

New guy here, You need to try Daura by Estrella. I can only imagine it uses the same protein eliminator that is mention on other parts of this site. This beer was ok'd by GF society because it only has less then 6ppm of gluten. I live in NH and can get it and all the others mentioned here. I cannot wait to start my own brew though!

I'd certainly be willing to try it if I ever find it for sale...

It's not bad, I think I have a few bottles left. They are sold as a 4 pack and I found them at a random wine/beer store. It's the only place I've seen it. A lager but as the guy said earlier, it isn't 100% gluten free and they must be using the protein eliminator.

Redbridge is readily available here in most grocery stores. Bard's is usually pretty easy to find as well. New Grist, which I don't really care for, comes and goes as far as availability. St. Peter's is sold at a few specialty beer stores and is definitely my favorite. I haven't seen any others here, but I am always keeping an eye out. I don't know of any local breweries here that make a GF beer, but one can dream.

Jolly Pumpkin Bellipago. Keep asking them to bottle it, I don't know what's taking them so long. I missed out on one of their other gluten free offerings, but I heard it might have gotten crossed with lactic acid bacteria and was more sour than expected.

Back