Hops Disease or Spider Mites?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosox

Reaction score
These are a picture of my 1st year Cascades. Supposedly I thought they were disease resistant, and up until now they've had barely any problems. The Only problem I had was a very small bug problem, seemed to be mostly catapillars or something as I frequently saw them on my hops and noticed some holes in the leafs. I sprayed them with insecticidal soap and that seemed to work...

However I found my hop leaves to look like the following picture. The leafs still feel and look healthy, except for on the tips of them there's white spots eveywhere. There's some leafs that are worse than that one, and they mostly seem to be on the lower 5 feet of my hops, and the bines that are climbing the rope to my trellis are fine. What should I do? What is it?

m9yumf.jpg

It's not webs, its part of the leaf itself, like just discoloration. There's no bumps or anything on the leaf that has the spots.

the image did not load for me at first...it looks like powdery mildew. cascade are resistant, but not immune. trim the leaves off and burn them or check with the all knowing Google for alternatives

the image did not load for me at first...it looks like powdery mildew. cascade are resistant, but not immune. trim the leaves off and burn them or check with the all knowing Google for alternatives

From the powdery mildew I get on my zucchini it always seems to start in the middle of the leaf and work outward. Luckily it hasn't bothered my hops as of yet (knock on wood) but I am battling it with an organic remedy on my zucchini.

If I understand correctly and from what I've gathered from experienced growers is that if your plants are 2nd year or older, the first 5 feet of leaves should be trimmed off. This is in order to help prevent the mildew spread.

Back