skunking in real time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
Given the right conditions, can a beer skunk in the time it takes you to drink it?

I had a Dogfish 60 minute, poured into a clear glass, at lunch the other day. We sat outside and it was bright and hot - I'm sure the UV index had to be a 9 or a 10. It seemed to me that over the course of drinking the beer, I got a skunky-like taste. I know that the skunk flavor is a result of light interacting with the isohumulones from the hops, so I thought perhaps I was witnessing this happen in real time. The other option I suppose is that I was noticing a flavor shift as the beer warmed up. (I know, I know, I should have drank faster)

How long does it take for beer to skunk?

Absolutely. I've had a beer in a glass that I left on the grill for 10 minutes while I was attending some stuff in the kitchen and by the time I came back there was a noticeable skunk quality to it.

Back