Savant Systems 1400

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbowenz

Reaction score
Here's a couple of shots of my brew stand in progress, it was nice to have three days off to do some work on it, couple of more weekends and I should be ready to brew:

SAVANT1400040.jpg

SAVANT1400036.jpg

SAVANT1400035.jpg

Is that where you are going to mount the control panel? Seems awfully close to the burners.

Looks fantastic though.

Brewpastor said:
Looks great. What is the brew length/batch size and when will it get fired up?

Those are 15 gallon pots, it's a HERMS system w/ a heat exchanger in HLT, hopefully in the next couple of weeks

zoebisch01 said:
How is the pH control implemented?

pH probe on the outflow of the Mash, the controller does more than I will ever need, but I can monitor pH, replicate future batches, check brew water profiles, etc... I have no automated way of controlling or changing the pH during the brew session, just observations.

jdoiv said:
Is that where you are going to mount the control panel? Seems awfully close to the burners.
Looks fantastic though.

Thanks, I have been planning it for some time. I will be installing some fire rings around each burner, as it is now, there is about 18" from the BK to the edge of the control panel, I agree, it will be cutting it close. I just wanted a compact design, not some big box sticking out. Hopefully it will be OK, if not, I could move it, or use a fire rated panel between the burner and the controller.

I would suggest moving the control box and doing a test fire of the burner. Maybe put a piece of plywood where the control box will sit and a thermometer on the other side of the wood and see what happens. I'm amazed at how something is somewhat close to the flame can heat up very quickly when you think it wouldn't. A lot of heat gets directed to the side because of the kettle. I'd hate to see such a nice piece of work get trashed on the first brew day.

mrbowenz said:
Thanks, I have been planning it for some time. I will be installing some fire rings around each burner, as it is now, there is about 18" from the BK to the edge of the control panel, I agree, it will be cutting it close. I just wanted a compact design, not some big box sticking out. Hopefully it will be OK, if not, I could move it, or use a fire rated panel between the burner and the controller.

Hey Chris, I had a thought. How about mounting the controller with a hinge at the top so you can swing it out when in use. It'll make it easier to use, as well as move it farther away from the fire. I guess you'd have to figure out what to do about all the wires coming out of the back though.

-Steve

mrbowenz said:
pH probe on the outflow of the Mash, the controller does more than I will ever need, but I can monitor pH, replicate future batches, check brew water profiles, etc... I have no automated way of controlling or changing the pH during the brew session, just observations.

Ahh, ok gotcha. That's what I was wondering if there was some form of buffering solution injection (and what it would be in that case). I *think* that controller is capable of closed loop pH control via injectors and solutions.

Have info about the STC valves you used? Rated for inert gas only?

Which burner did you purchase?

Have any pictures of the insides of your kettles?

With all the single tier brewstands floating around lately I thought I would throw my hat back in the ring

S5000708.jpg

S5000711.jpg

S5000713.jpg

S5000709.jpg

mrbownez

I pretty much hate you-

I really need to get a setup like that. How much did it cost to put together?

Looks great man. I don't even want to show you the inside of my box! How did you deal with the keepers on the Love switches. I can't get mine tight. It looks like you did something to yours.

KD

Looks great man. I don't even want to show you the inside of my box! How did you deal with the keepers on the Love switches. I can't get mine tight. It looks like you did something to yours.

KD

They are flimsy aren't they?, I used a bit of silicon adhesive and some plastic wire ties , the wire ties really helped to secure while the silicon setup and did it's thing, plus added some mositure resistance. With regards to the control panel, I ended up adding some input/ panelmounted microphone style connectors for the thermowells, and then added 10amp fused to protect a short circuit. so there is even more wiring behind the panel door, I will snap some updated ones shortly.

Here is a quick sketch of the dimension for the stand:is this sketch upsidedown for anyone ?

SavantDimensions.jpg

They are flimsy aren't they?, I used a bit of silicon adhesive and some plastic wire ties , the wire ties really helped to secure while the silicon setup and did it's thing, plus added some mositure resistance. With regards to the control panel, I ended up adding some input/ panelmounted microphone style connectors for the thermowells, and then added 10amp fused to protect a short circuit. so there is even more wiring behind the panel door, I will snap some updated ones shortly.

Here is a quick sketch of the dimension for the stand:is this sketch upsidedown for anyone ?

Cool. Thanks for that. I like the connector idea for the probes.

mrbownez

I pretty much hate you-

I really need to get a setup like that. How much did it cost to put together?

Where's the love ?:)

I have just over $ 3000.00 in for this money pit for some reason, misaligned priorities I would guess. I would do it again in a second.

Thats all? I think if I tried something that extreme It would run me 3X as much. With shipping, and my ineptness at anything dealing with plumbing, electric, oh yea life.
What you have is a piece of art, looks great, and I'm sure produces beer worth drinking. I'll stop before my evil jealous side comes out. Can I just say WOW.

Where's the love ?:)

I have just over $ 3000.00 in for this money pit for some reason, misaligned priorities I would guess. I would do it again in a second.

I know what you mean. Building my rig was an obsession for months, and of course a huge money pit. It's been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.

I know what you mean. Building my rig was an obsession for months, and of course a huge money pit. It's been one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.

Indeed Kdog, and I must say your system is simply awesome if not said before, I have watched yours come together and took plenty of inspiration along the way !

Hey MrBowenz:

Awesome job. I've got a digital HLT / Herms setup implemented via dual Rancos, 2 pumps, and old heater valve/controller. I can see that I _NEED_ a pH monitor and a timer too!!

I'd like to ask questions about your gas control setup. It would appear that the yellow gas connections are a bypass of some sort? Do you have an automated lighting device? Which STC valves are you using (part number)? I'd like to set up a simpler gas / ignitor system for my boil pot.

Any experience yet with the pH monitoring? Was it worth the effort? I've got my "Signet pH" search set up on eBay ...

Cheers!

Dan (a fellow tinkerer!)

Hey MrBowenz:

Awesome job. I've got a digital HLT / Herms setup implemented via dual Rancos, 2 pumps, and old heater valve/controller. I can see that I _NEED_ a pH monitor and a timer too!!

I'd like to ask questions about your gas control setup. It would appear that the yellow gas connections are a bypass of some sort? Do you have an automated lighting device? Which STC valves are you using (part number)? I'd like to set up a simpler gas / ignitor system for my boil pot.

Any experience yet with the pH monitoring? Was it worth the effort? I've got my "Signet pH" search set up on eBay ...

Cheers!

Dan (a fellow tinkerer!)

Thanks Dan,

Sounds like you have got the operations in order, the device is a simple countdown timer for boil, hops addtions, etc. it's wired to a small piezo buzzer to alert an end of cycle, I have a few of them left so if you want one just PM me. The pH meter is cool, but limited in the fact that it only meters the outflow of wort, there are no adjustments that I can come up with currently, to alter pH during the HERMS cycle, however, I can atleast monitor the pH levels and keep notes with my recipes for future repeatable batches.

The STC valves are the standard 1/2 NC, Air Gas and Water type , I think I paid 45 dollars , they are well built and seem to work great, VS the Red hats they do the job at half the price. The yellow flex-pipe feeds the pilot light, but I simply light the pilot and it stays on during the brewing session. the lighting of the burners runs flawlessly, easy and reliable so far.

Thanks!

PM'ed you the other day. I like the notion of automatically fired burners since I brew outside and the occasional gust can vanquish a permanent pilot. In over a year of brewing, my "heater" controls work like a charm as controlled by the ranco. I think for the boilpot I'll simply go with an on/off switch.

Dan

Thanks!

PM'ed you the other day. I like the notion of automatically fired burners since I brew outside and the occasional gust can vanquish a permanent pilot. In over a year of brewing, my "heater" controls work like a charm as controlled by the ranco. I think for the boilpot I'll simply go with an on/off switch.

Dan

If you are interested in a spark ignition setup for your burners, there are a number of setups on this board that use them. Here is a thread discussing my setup.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=67922

Thanks kdog ... that is similar to what I have on my HLT ... I have a ranco control the 24v power supply for on/off. I'll be setting up my boil pot such that instead of a ranco, I'll just have a simple on/off switch.

Since we're in a similar part of the world, we'll have to compare notes over a homebrew sometime!

Dan

That is Schweeet Mr B. That right there is what I am after. It may be worth the divorce if I do try it. Probably cheaper to keep her though. Beautiful work my friend. Looks like you have some plumbing and electrical experience. All the kids have left the house and its time for Daddy to get his!!!! If you feel generous drop me a line on where to start.

Beautiful my friend!

That is Schweeet Mr B. That right there is what I am after. It may be worth the divorce if I do try it. Probably cheaper to keep her though. Beautiful work my friend. Looks like you have some plumbing and electrical experience. All the kids have left the house and its time for Daddy to get his!!!! If you feel generous drop me a line on where to start.

Beautiful my friend!

Thanks for the kind words, BB, start with a plan, figure out what size kettles and get started....ask as many questions as you wish !

I am doing the all over town search for kegs right now, plan on going to the steel fabrication companies this weekend to dig through the scrap piles. Its not uncommon to find 4-8 foot pieces of good square tubing and all kinds of good angle iron. I have some old burners from a six burner stove(Wolf), but I think they may be too small. That is a beautiful rig though.

All told, what was your cost on this system?

I, like many others here, am looking to build a "Brutus 10" type clone system.

Thanks!

CJP

All told, what was your cost on this system?

I, like many others here, am looking to build a "Brutus 10" type clone system.

Thanks!

CJP

Well after the TriClover conversion , about $4600.00 , many could build a similar one, much cheaper . Enjoy you build !

I just had it professionally photographed this past weekend , and repainted the stand prior , it looks new-ish again for being 2 1/2 years old :

CAC_6652copy.jpg

I think I'll just commit suicide righ now, as there is nothing else left worth seeing now in this life... :D

That thing rocks.. I'm designing mine now in sketchup. And now that the spark ignition came up, I have incorporate that as a future upgrade.... Someday I may endup with a setup that sweet...

Merry Christmas. :mug:

Back