Wheat beer yeast strains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReaderRabbit

Reaction score
Here's something I've been trying to figure out but with no success on the Google-fu -- is there something about wheat that calls for a particular type of yeast strain? I know to make a hefewiesen or a witbier I need a yeast that will create the right flavors, but what I'm wondering is:

1. If I'm making an American-style wheat, is there a problem with using another neutral strain? Is there something the American wheat strains provide specially?

On a related note, I like dry yeasts and was looking at Danstar Munich, but from what I've read it doesn't provide any of the hefe flavors, what advantage does it provide over something like Safale US-05?

2. Is there any problems if I make a wort that has no wheat but use a wheat strain? I've been wanting to try Wyeast 3333 German Wheat for the vanilla esters but I wanted to get that flavor in a summer tripel or a cream ale. Would there be an issue with me using that kind of wort (with a clarifying addition) with the Wyeast 3333?

It's quite common to use neutral ale yeasts like the chico strains in an American wheat. No experience with Danstar munich so can't help there.
The German wheat yeast shouldn't have any problems fermenting a non-wheat wort if that's what you're asking.

+1 on using a neutral ale yeast on a wheat. I just pitched some US-05 in a batch of wheat a few hours ago. I have brewed a version of the same recipe and have fermented it with many strains of yeast. I find I prefer it when using a clean neutral yeast.

I've used Safale WB-06 in my last two batches, one was a cream ale and it fermented it below 1.01 (hydro bottomed out) so I was impressed by that. It imparted a little ester like flavor in it, fermented at 65 degrees (room temp).

Just pitched it yesterday into a Lemon Wheat partial kit from austin homebrew and despite my leaky bucket giving me no outward signs of fermentation, I know its bubbling away in there. (Can feel it). So ill chime in when I sample the hydro tube. This will probably ferment in the low 70s if the weather people were right

Next beer is a "saison" using T-58 fermenting at 75 air temp, it may be an option for wheat types as well

Back