Y'all have let me down!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y'all have let me down even more! LOL!

I happen to like most wheat beers, and have yet to find Oberon "overrated". Now I'm a day behind! Not sure how I will make it up. I *could* drink 2 tonight (if I can even find any now!), but I still missed out on enjoying it yesterday! Can't go back in time.

I was in GR for the GLINT judging...so I went to Bell's for Oberon Day. Place was pretty busy for a noon on a Monday lol.

total n00b here and wow, didn't know Bell's had TWO over-hyped, over-rated, intentionally under-supplied seasonals

Last years release was spectacularly blah. I used to really like it when I lived in Lansing. I got some last year and it tasted like band-aids. I contacted them and they tested the batch I referenced. Said it was fine but sent me some swag for my troubles. I like Bell's typically but Oberon has lost my vote.

Hmm... I haven't been let down yet. Only time is when I got some very early in the season and it was a bit hoppy/bitter. I thought it was just my tastes due to drinking Blue Moon before that. Most of the time I have to limit myself so I don't get too used to it. Besides, there is always Two Hearted to drink too.

I've had Arcadia's version and wasn't impressed. There are lots of that style out now, but I just enjoy whatever Bells has done with their recipe.

You ass caps!!! Last thursday was ground up groundhog guts day!!!!

I love guts!!! WTF???????

WHY god WHY?????

I KNOW time travel is impossible, because someone would have come back in time and fixed the world by now.

not knocking Bell's completely... I'm on board with you on Two Hearted. MW Pale is good too, but not thrilled with their Amber

something about West MI... maybe it's Lake Michigan water; New Holland and Founders makes some tastygood beers too.

I happen to like most wheat beers, and have yet to find Oberon "overrated". Now I'm a day behind! Not sure how I will make it up. I *could* drink 2 tonight (if I can even find any now!), but I still missed out on enjoying it yesterday! Can't go back in time.

I know you like it. I'm just razzing you a bit.

Oberon is probably one of the best American wheats out there- and I have a friend who just loves it. Since I'm not a wheat beer fan, I don't normally drink it. But I do love teasing you!

I know you don't like wheat beers. That's why I gave you a "like" for your comment, even though it did sting a little...

:b

FYI - I did get a 6 pack last night and had a bottle and it was very good. So take that all you haters!

I was just upset yesterday because I forgot the release day and the young lady at work who isn't even old enough to legally drink knew when it was!! I told her it was yesterday and she said, "No, I think it was Monday." WHAT?? <check phone>... AW damn!

not knocking Bell's completely... I'm on board with you on Two Hearted. MW Pale is good too, but not thrilled with their Amber

something about West MI... maybe it's Lake Michigan water; New Holland and Founders makes some tastygood beers too.

I'm with you on that. There is no shortage of great beer here, and there are beers from pretty much every brewery that I do not like. But Bells, IMO, seem to produce more great beer than most. I do like Founders for dark beer. Their Pale Ales are ok, but not as much my thing.

New Holland makes some great beer. I even like their Saison, and that's not a style I would normally think I would like. Love the Dragons Milk.

And I've picked up a few bottles from Greenbush (I think that's the name...) and so far have really liked what I've tried of their stuff. I dont' even know where they are!

Last years release was spectacularly blah. I used to really like it when I lived in Lansing. I got some last year and it tasted like band-aids. I contacted them and they tested the batch I referenced. Said it was fine but sent me some swag for my troubles. I like Bell's typically but Oberon has lost my vote.

Really? I thought last year's Oberon was particularly good. Go figure.

Really? I thought last year's Oberon was particularly good. Go figure.

I chalk it up to evolving tastes. I used to love it, but now I can't stomach the thought of drinking a wheat. Oh well, that's why there are so many styles to choose from!

Homer, you should know by now that the end of March is Oberon Day. You don't need a reminder when it's Christmas, or New Years. For the haters of the style, Why post here? I like tradition, I have Turkey for Thanksgiving, Prime Rib for Christmas, Ham for Easter, Oberon at the end of the cold season here in Michigan. So many bars have it on tap for the summer, when usually the offer is BMC only.

So you don't get left out of the loop again Homer, Today April 1st is KBS day. You better get there quick or it will be gone.;)

I guess the unseasonably cool spring threw me off a bit.

Unless something magical happens, I will not be able to get any KBS this year. I never manage to find it in any stores. Haven't since Founders started expanding a few years ago. If I'm lucky someone will share some with me at a brew day. I'm fairly certain that a few of the guys who work at the bottle shop in the town nearby will have already raided their allotment of KBS.

I usually don't have a problem getting KBS. Usually score 1-2 4 packs each year....though this year my girlfriend and I got a case directly from Founders... :D

I also drank 40oz of KBS on Sat...Sunday was a bit rough...

Am I the only one who used Oberon Day as an opportunity to culture some of their house yeast? Threw the dregs from a 17 day old six pack into a 750ml starter, then stepped up to 2L, now I have enough (based on the thick slurry I have) to pitch into my next 5 gallon batch. I brewed three beers with it last year and liked the results from each. It seems to be like what everyone has said, like Cal Ale, but a little fruitier if fermented warmer.

I think they use the same yeast for all their brews. I remember Larry recommending that you snatch the yeast from the pale ale, since it's lower ABV. They do ferment at different temperatures to change the flavor profile.

I think they use the same yeast for all their brews. I remember Larry recommending that you snatch the yeast from the pale ale, since it's lower ABV. They do ferment at different temperatures to change the flavor profile.

yeast wranglin'

IMG_8382.jpg

I believe (and could be wrong on this) that Winter White and their lagers are the only beers that don't use the house strain. I had heard the same thing about using a low ABV beer to get the yeast, and successfully cultured from Pale Ale last year. After talking to one of the Bell's brewers though, he suggested that anything in their lineup under 6% ABV should work just fine, and to look for the freshest bottles I could, as he thought that would help viability more than the ABV. Oberon day is the perfect time for that, since you know what you are getting was just bottled. Based on how quickly I was able to build up from the 6 pack, I think it was really good advice.

Yeah their lagers and other specialty beers (such as belgians) are the only ones not using the house strain... honestly if you just drink the beer it's easy to tell as all their beers made with the house strain have a distinct flavor from the yeast. When harvesting the yeast you want the yeast stressed yeast you can get. So low abv, low hops, and fresh are what you're looking for. I always harvest some from oberon when it first comes out. I typically use it for about 3 batches (harvesting from the conical or yeast washing)

just picked up my 6-pack of Oberon! not always able to find it in Central Ohio (at least... before I knew where to look... thanks to getting into brewing)

Just read thru this post and KBS was mentioned. Just thought I would share that those sneaky bastards held onto a few cases and are selling it in the company store TODAY.
</PSA>

Just read thru this post and KBS was mentioned. Just thought I would share that those sneaky bastards held onto a few cases and are selling it in the company store TODAY.
</PSA>

Went to a nearby town with a decent bottle shop and asked if he had any KBS. I got a laugh and a "It sold out in the first day!"

So I asked if they would get any more, and they said that no, they only get one shipment a year.

So much for expanding your market.

And I had another Oberon last night. It's was as good as I remember.

Back when I first got into craft beers, Oberon was all I would drink while it was available. I got burnt out on it after a few years. Had one the other day (on tap) and it was alright, but didn't re-convert me.

Also, is Oberon actually hard to find? I seem to see it in every store I step foot in. It is not nearly as hard to find as Hopslam. Although the Kroger near me had cases of Hopslam when it was released, no posted limit per customer or anything.

No, Oberon is is easier to find than Two Hearted around here. Everyone loves it. Even a lot of BMC drinkers will pound a few Oberons in the summer.

No, Oberon is is easier to find than Two Hearted around here. Everyone loves it. Even a lot of BMC drinkers will pound a few Oberons in the summer.

Two Hearted is on the shelves at Meijer in Lansing area by the masses. Not near as massful as Oberon, but wouldn't call it "hard to come by".

Two Hearted is on the shelves at Meijer in Lansing area by the masses. Not near as massful as Oberon, but wouldn't call it "hard to come by".

Yeah, in Michigan it seems to be in most of the gas stations, but when Oberon comes out, it takes over.

They used Oberon as a calibration beer at a recent judging and I scored it low 40s. Lots of people scored it much less than that, but even though I was sure it wasn't Oberon, it was very good to me. I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones that really likes it.

Oberon on tap at the local Buffalo Wing Factory

I was going to order a pint but, after trying a miscategorized Magic Hat #9, I had to have a Two Hearted to get the apricot taste out of my mouth

Hey Homer, at our club meeting Friday night, we had our customary raffle with some really great prizes - a 55 bag of wheat malt, a bag of citra hops, some gift certificates. Then there was the customary pile of pint glasses. I don't need another stinking pint glass, thank you. Except for one - it was an Oberon glass! I lusted after it, but alas, someone else won it.

Hey Homer, at our club meeting Friday night, we had our customary raffle with some really great prizes - a 55 bag of wheat malt, a bag of citra hops, some gift certificates. Then there was the customary pile of pint glasses. I don't need another stinking pint glass, thank you. Except for one - it was an Oberon glass! I lusted after it, but alas, someone else won it.

I'd like a Hopslam glass, but really that needs to be a tulip glass I guess. I got way too many pint glasses. My beer glass shelves are so full I have to keep ALL of the standard pints in the kitchen. I started a collection from all of the breweries I've been to.

I'd like a Hopslam glass, but really that needs to be a tulip glass I guess. I got way too many pint glasses. My beer glass shelves are so full I have to keep ALL of the standard pints in the kitchen. I started a collection from all of the breweries I've been to.

I had to start a box in the basement next to the kegerator since the cupboard was too full of pint glasses from the breweries I have visited. It's about the only thing my wife will let me collect so I run with it. Plus it keeps her happy since she doesn't like matching things anyway...

Back