Did I just screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mencken

Reaction score
I have a pear tree in my back yard, and it's the time of year when it produces a ton. Today, without any forethought, I decided to make a big batch of pear cider. I just juiced a ton of pears, and I pitched it with Nottingham yeast. For the yeast, I did a quick starter with dextrose and water (boiled) and some yeast fuel and go-ferm.

I just mixed the yeast with the juice and set it in my carboy....and now I'm thinking I screwed up by not actually researching this. Should I put campden tablets in there? Should I have cooked it? If so, at what temp? Is it too late?

Your quick advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

My paranoia grew and so I pitched 5 campden tablets in there. I'll leave that for 24 hours and then re-pitch the yeast

I wouldn't add more yeast. Wait a week if the yeast doesn't take off then add more yeast.

Really? My understanding was campden tablets killed all yeast, wild or pitched. Will it only target the wild?

It only slows reproduction. It slows down wild a lot. Enough to give commercial a head start. Your commercial yeast might take back off.

Excellent, thanks for the advice. I didn't re-pitch the yeast and it's bubbling away now.

Back