Worst style of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMalty

Reaction score
aside from american style light lager (a staple of BMC), which i think most people agree is pretty terrible, what is your least favorite style of beer.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Golden Ales....they kinda make me angry

Well ill have to disagree with you. Its takes a very good brewer to make an american light lager. I don't like most wheat beers but it doesn't mean that is the worst style. To each is there own.

Well there is already a "Worst Commercial Beer."

The problem with asking for "worst style" is that I (and I'm sure at least a handful of others) would say there is no worst style... there are just bad examples of styles. I really can't think of a single style of which there isn't one example I like.

McMalty said:
aside from american style light lager (a staple of BMC), which i think most people agree is pretty terrible, what is your least favorite style of beer.

There is a time and place for all beer styles. I used to think I hated scottish ales... Until I had a good one.

The light lager category is my favorite to brew. They are technically challenging, easy to drink on a hot day, and appeal to the most number of friends/family.

I love Hefeweizen and Belgian Whites...

I dislike anything overly watery, which is most American macrobrews, and I'll even specify Coors in that. Also, Budweiser does something strange to their light that I think tastes of rust and failure.
Any brewery that thinks calling it a lager or a pilsner is an excuse for serving yellow soda water is the worst.

ETA: I have limited experience with the style, but I've had several trappist ales that I thought were a bit... funky (limburger cheese on the nose), and although I actually thought it was a decent brew, they made me sick to my stomach afterwards in a way that no other beer (or liquor) has- despite imbibing far more of it!

PORTERS...but thats just a personal thing

other than that I like all styles but prefer not to drink lambics/and Wit beirs that often

Arkowa.. what was The Good scottish ale you were refering too?

iparks81 said:
PORTERS...but thats just a personal thing

other than that I like all styles but prefer not to drink lambics/and Wit beirs that often

Arkowa.. what was The Good scottish ale you were refering too?

I agree about porters. Just don't enjoy them.

Sam Adam's Oktoberfest was one of the first non-BMC beers I ever enjoyed but ironically I think marzens are probably my least favorite style these days.

Wow...this is actually pretty interesting...... I never thought there was such diversity the styles of beer that people don't like. I mean, ik everyone has there own tastes, but this isn't like asking "what's your favorite style," where there's obviously a huge amount of diversity. I guess I just thought the results would be a bit more uniform.

Sam Adam's Oktoberfest was one of the first non-BMC beers I ever enjoyed but ironically I think marzens are probably my least favorite style these days.

I hear u. I do enjoy marzens, but every once in a while, they rub me the wrong way

to the guy who wants to try a decent bock. i find that st nick is a good one from penn brewery.

to the guy about the scottish ale try dirty bastard. i think its done by founders

to the guy about porters try the rock porter done by church brew works (if you can get it and you like bacon)

and about myself - ive said it before and i'll say it again i HATE belgians

A most overrated style (other than light lager) thread should maybe be the next way to go with this. I like porters, belgians I have to be in the mood for, same with wheat. IPA or bitter generally hit the spot. Helles and other malty lagers are not something Ive managed to really appreciate yet but Ive got a slightly over attenuated bock Ive been patiently waiting for which will be kegged tomorrow so maybe Ill enjoy that in a couple of months when the weather starts to cool.

anything with overly raisiny pruney flavors like a lot of dubbels I don't care for. (maybe it's the Special B) Any beer that is incredibly sweet I usually do not like such as a lot of barleywines (although there are some good ones out there) Also hefeweizens are eh.

I'd definitely have to say it is a toss up between the dead person's ashes ale or the placenta ale (both threads floating around from a few months ago)

Well, it's not a style but I just don't dig lagers. Every lager I have ever had, even a Vienna lager on tap right now, makes me dizzy instead of a mellow buzzed feeling like ales. Maybe there is no scientific reason why but lager yeast tends to mess with my equilibrium. This view is not taking in account taste. Some taste just fine, exccept Swartxbier. That's just a cruel way to mess with someone.

I will definately not say that they are bad styles; I just haven't had one yet that I would like to drink more. Barleywines and Imperial stouts. Just too sweet and cloying. I've had some dubbels that I didn't care for, but then had some that were great.

For my taste, any style with citrusy hops, those are just plain NASTY.
Not a fan of IPA's either, and anything lighter than a brown ale is automatically suspect IMHO (except helles). I'll take the dark, malty styles anytime.
Regards, GF.

I have never been a fan of belgian style beers. I use to hate wheat beers, but the style has really grown on me the past year or so.

I'm not a huge fan of wheat beer. I also had a Sam Adams Imperial Stout which was supposed to be an example of a Russian Imperial, and I really hated that beer, I couldn't even finish the bottle so based on that example, I don't like imperial stouts either.

The one style of beer that I have never enjoyed has always been rauchbeer. I have brewed once with smoked malt and I hated it, 1 of my 2 drain pours. I don't like any smoked malt, even in small amounts, in any of my beers. Not sure why, but smoked malt just really turns me off. Maybe there is a good example of using smoked malt, but I haven't found it.

Back