Ughh teenagers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Third semester...classic! :drunk: :cross:

Totally NOT a typo! Hehehehehehe.

I really meant 1 year and a summer session (failed a requisite course on a technicality, there is a place for you in heck Professor White), but third semester freshman year is what came out. D'OH!

SenorPepe said:
Maybe if you're a recreational user. Better than wasting away or taking drugs with much more severe and lasting side effects than those you listed. On a continuum that includes things like tardive dyskinesia, organ failure and uncontrollable lava ****s or whatever, having to be high to eat is not so bad.

I would say that you are right, and that MM is totally appropriate for treatment of chronic illnesses. So is morphine. If someone is dying, anything that can make their departure less painfull should be available to them. But when you give an 18 year old kid a pot car because he twisted his ankle playing soccer in his freshman year (true story) its just plain irresponsible.

EDIT: pot CARD. A pot car is what Cheech and Chong drove in Up in Smoke.

Can I be that ninny with the glasses with the tape on them and the overbite that suggests the subject move in a different direction.... seeing as how this is one of those that can totally devolve into "shut up!" "no you shut up!" in a nanosecond? Not saying it was moving in that direction, but it sooo could...

I would say that you are right, and that MM is totally appropriate for treatment of chronic illnesses. So is morphine. If someone is dying, anything that can make their departure less painfull should be available to them. But when you give an 18 year old kid a pot car because he twisted his ankle playing soccer in his freshman year (true story) its just plain irresponsible.

EDIT: pot CARD. A pot car is what Cheech and Chong drove in Up in Smoke.

lol ok I understand. My first thought was that cancer patients (or anyone who has to take drugs with serious side effects) would laugh at the side effects you mentioned, although I wouldn't be so flippant about them for a normal, non afflicted person. Especially an 18 year old kid who got a card for a twisted ankle. Would be way cooler if he got the pot car though.

CreamyGoodness said:
Can I be that ninny with the glasses with the tape on them and the overbite that suggests the subject move in a different direction.... seeing as how this is one of those that can totally devolve into "shut up!" "no you shut up!" in a nanosecond? Not saying it was moving in that direction, but it sooo could...

I personally would really try to break off before that point, but this is "general chit chat", and conversations do have this natural way of evolving and changing topic.

Teenagers, those little bastards. I'll have one of them myself pretty soon. He's only 10 now, but his legs are getting hairy and his peach fuzz is coming in on his upper lip. Just stopped having to buy night-time pull-ups for my youngest. Looking forward to at least a couple years before I have to start buying razors for my oldest.

My favorite story from my teen years was when my father threatened to murder me if I made him a grandfather before he was 50. That was his direct quote, "James, I will murder you if you make me a grandfather before I'm 50."

The fact that he felt the need to tell me this really speaks to the underlying teenage mentality.

Ahh I remember when I was a teen. My dad sat me down and said, "Son, you're a man now. You need to be accountable for your actions." I fell silent while I mulled it over for a few minutes. Then I said, "**** you Dad! Everyone else is going to the Blink 182 concert it's not fair!"

Don't brag...or even mention that you went to a Blink 182 show. That'll get you booted from this forum quicker than lightning!;)

Ahh I remember when I was a teen. My dad sat me down and said, "Son, you're a man now. You need to be accountable for your actions." I fell silent while I mulled it over for a few minutes. Then I said, "**** you Dad! Everyone else is going to the Blink 182 concert it's not fair!"

If I would have done that I would have woke up at the age of 25 . . . and probably would still had knuckle marks in my forehead

Wow you guys are quick. That was part of the point. I mean bad joke to begin with but...never been to a Blink 182 show. As a matter of fact, that whole exchange was made up if you can believe it.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0g16_LQaQ&ob=av2e]blink-182 - Dammit - YouTube[/ame]

Classic.

punkrockdave said:
Good point, blink182 is worse for kids than underage drinking.

But ya gotta love Trais Barker's other projects like the Transplants with Lars Frederickson and Tim Armstrong.

Only in this culture do people view letting children have some alcohol as a carnal sin. I'm a firm believer that if you demystify something, your children are far less likely to try to sneak it/have a problem with it.

THIS. The best example is the fact that in Amsterdam, they have a far lower incidence of teenage marijuana use than in the US. That is not to say kids there never smoke it : a lot of them try it or smoke once in a great while. They just don't develop problems with it because the "forbidden fruit" factor is not there with them. It's out in the open from the start. My biggest argument about the ridiculousness of our drinking laws are these 2 hypothetical cases - Case #1 : 17 year old murders someone. What happens? Tried as an adult and locked up for life. Case #2 : 20 year old drinks at a party and gets caught. What happens? Gets punished because they are not considered adult enough to make the decision to drink. So the 17 year old was adult enough to be put away for life, but someone 3 years older is not adult enough to drink. The real reason is the fact that law enforcement makes TONS of money from MIP tickets. Then they make you go to probation meetings (and of course pay them each time). Then they make you take drug tests (and of course pay them each time). It really is all about money. Our law enforcement system considers people adults when it suits them to do so, and considers them children when it suits them to do so. Whether or not the individual is capable of making adult decisions is not a factor. How much money can be pulled from the individual is. It is very profitable for them to not consider 18 year olds adults when it comes to drinking.

** It shows that I'm still bitter about my punishment for a MIP ticket 12 years ago (I was 20), doesn't it? Getting in trouble for drinking at age 20 is about as infuriating as it gets.

Oh definitely, let's not forget Rancid, one of the best there is.

I just might have a bit of a crush on Tim's ex, Brody. I bring this up for no particular reason. I'm not sitting here bottling and listing to the Distillers' Sing Sing Death House ... ahem ... She's incredibly hot.

JonM said:
I just might have a bit of a crush on Tim's ex, Brody. I bring this up for no particular reason. I'm not sitting here bottling and listing to the Distillers' Sing Sing Death House ... ahem ... She's incredibly hot.

Oh he!! Yeah she is, I sat and bottled listening to Bad Religion.

Oh definitely, let's not forget Rancid, one of the best there is.

This reminded me of how long it's been since I listened to them - pulled out the old Rancid and Operation Ivy albums today for a little stroll down memory lane. Still lovin it. I really love the songs where Lars sings, like "Tenderloin".

And its necessary to mention, even after all this time, that before Travis Barker was in Blink 182 he was Baron von Tito of the Aquabats.

I KNOW there is at least one other AquaCadet in the house... *Circle of Love*

Please enter the punk rock thread long enough to read the first post... :eek:

It is a bit weird that we can take an 18 year old, put a gun in his hand and have him kill other humans in war, but say he's not responsible enough to have a beer.

When I was in the Marine Corps, we were allowed 3.2% beer on base. A person only had to be 18 to buy beer in the e-club.

Back