LME comparable to Northern Brewer's Gold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yunocallme

Reaction score
I'm gearing up to brew the Bell's Two Hearted clone that Northern Brewer sells. Rather than buying the kit, I went to my local homebrew shop and tried to compile the ingredients. It's an extremely simple recipe, but I had some issues with what LME to get, seeing as how the kit calls for Northern Brewer's Gold LME. On their site, it says that LME is predominantly a pale malt with a touch of CaraPils. I ended up leaving the store with Northwestern Gold, perhaps foolishly assuming it'll be at the very least similar. But I've tried researching what exactly is in it and I'm not having much luck. Is anyone familiar enough with Northwestern Gold to know if it'll get the job done? Or are there other common extracts out there that compare more favorably to NB's Gold? Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Here's a link to my LHBS's catalogue. LME's are on page 6. Let me know if you think they have something that would work better. Thanks!

https://www.altgarden.com/store/secure/uploads/file/BREW CATALOG 12-09.pdf

I believe it is essentially base malt with some carapils. So, I think the NW gold would be fine. Anything termed "light" would probably be fine as well. You may want to steep 1/2# of carapils with your other specialty grains to add body since the other LME may not have it included.

I bet it's Golden Light from Briess. They are the only manufacture I've seen that makes public what they use in their extract. For their Golden Light they list "Base Malt and Carapils".

Actually, Coopers discloses some of the malts they use in their unhopped extract. I had to find it on a Canadian site. They list unmalted barley as an additional grain in their light extract.

Back