Wyeast propagator starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer_master

Reaction score
I`ve bouhgt some wyeast propagator smackpacks(bavarian lager),now i will be using them for a first time.
I know i need to make a starter,but in whitch way?
Do i need to start with less wort(cca.500ml),and once fermented pour it to a bigger starter(4l for lager), or i can just pitch it in 4l of wort directly forgeting the the first 500ml ?
Btw i will be using stir plate too.

There's good information here:

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_pitchrate.cfm

If it were me, I would do a two step starter. I'd make a 2 liter starter, let it ferment for 36 hours, then add 2 more liters and let it sit for 36-48 hours, then chill it for 3 days or something to drop the yeast out, dump the liquid and pitch only the slurry. But I don't do lagers, so take this with a grain of salt. It might take longer for that yeast to drop out, I don't know.

Anyway, that link has good info. There's a link on that page for pitching rates which will give you an idea of what to aim for. I would go for the larger pitching rate in the lower lager section there, but choose your OG there.

There's good information here:

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_pitchrate.cfm

If it were me, I would do a two step starter. I'd make a 2 liter starter, let it ferment for 36 hours, then add 2 more liters and let it sit for 36-48 hours, then chill it for 3 days or something to drop the yeast out, dump the liquid and pitch only the slurry. But I don't do lagers, so take this with a grain of salt. It might take longer for that yeast to drop out, I don't know.

Anyway, that link has good info. There's a link on that page for pitching rates which will give you an idea of what to aim for. I would go for the larger pitching rate in the lower lager section there, but choose your OG there.

Thanks for info Matt,
I was thinking of doing it 2-way,though i red somewhere that if yeast is healthy enough(hence its propagator 16bil. cells) it will be ok to think large(4l)

Anyway,ill go with 2L -two step

No problem Jure. For me, with Ales I'm making just one 2 liter starter but those ales are also lower gravity, less than 1.050.

From here:

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_productdetail.cfm?ProductID=2

The Propagator™ package contains a minimum of 25 billion cells in a yeast slurry. This volume is not adequate for direct pitching into 5 gallons of wort and requires a 1-2 L propagation step prior to brewing. The Propagator™ is designed, when propagated in a 1-2 liter “starter” culture, to inoculate 5 gallons of standard strength ale wort (1.034-1.060 SG) with professional pitching rates. For lagers, we recommend pitching the starter culture into the wort at warm temperatures (68-70°F/ 20-21°C), waiting for signs of fermentation, and then adjusting to the desired temperature. Alternatively, for pitching into cold conditions (34-58°F/ 1-14°C) or higher gravity wort, we recommend increasing this pitching rate further by performing additional propagation steps. Please see the Pitch Rate section for additional information.

While I'm not a lager guy, I'd think it would be better to pitch cold as a lot of esters and fermentation byproducts are produced early in the fermentation.

Back