Replacement for Horizon hops and suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grinder12000

Reaction score
I have a recipe that many people loved but I felt the hops needed to be reworked a little.

It's an American Amber 5g batch simple but good recipe

Here is the original recipe and then how I changed it - NOW I want to rework it a tad

The original recipe

3.3 Pale Ale LME
1.2 Pale DME

1lb Munich
2.2 2-row
0.75 Crystal 40L
0.5 Crystal 120L
0.5 Victory

0.60 oz Horizon 60 min
0.25 oz Cascade 10 min
0.25 Centennial 10 min
0.25 oz Cascade 0 min
0.25 Centennial 0 min

The recipe I brewed had

1.0 oz Vanguard 60 min
0.25 oz Cascade 10 min
0.25 oz Riwaka 10 min
0.25 oz Cascade 0 min
0.25 oz Riwaka 0 min

The MAIN problem is the lack of Horizon for bittering. I'm thinking of using Nugget instead and tweaking the aroma and flavor to try to get the Riwaka more into play.

0.5 oz Nugget instead???
0.15 oz Cascade 10 min
0.35 oz Riwaka 10 min
0.15 oz Cascade 0 min
0.35 oz Riwaka 0 min

SO - are there any other replacements for Horizon (besides Magnum which is also hard to find) that would be wonderful to try?.

Nugget hops are great. It would be a good substitution for Horizon IMO. You can get Magnums now at Freshops.

IMO the substitution for Horizon isn't so much the issue. Anything that is high in AA%'s will do, except Chinook. I would be more concerned with the Centennial substitution. I don't know what Riwaka hops are like, but at those addition times, you're going to notice the difference. Centennial is very favorable and noticeable, so substituting it will stand out. I have used Nugget to bitter and I liked the results...

I've heard that Riwaka has a very noticeable grapefruit/citrus/tangerine nose, so I'd exercise a bit of caution with the amounts. I'm having a difficult time imagining that kind of nose in an American Amber, actually.

I've heard that Riwaka has a very noticeable grapefruit/citrus/tangerine nose, so I'd exercise a bit of caution with the amounts. I'm having a difficult time imagining that kind of nose in an American Amber, actually.

You don't think it'd be similar to Troegs Hopback? Centennial is grapefruity to me so I guess it would be a suitable substitution...

Don't you think it would be similar to Troeg's Hopback

You know, I dare say it would! Centennial is definitely grapefruity to me too (heck, all the American 'C' hops are ;)), but my understanding with Riwaka is an even BIGGER grapefruit aroma than with Centennial.

You know, I dare say it would! Centennial is definitely grapefruity to me too (heck, all the American 'C' hops are ;)), but my understanding with Riwaka is an even BIGGER grapefruit aroma than with Centennial.

I have no experience with Riwaka, but if its anything like you say - I need to try it out. I can see that going well with the right grain bill...

Well - I'm just upping the Riwaka just a tad as I don't want to go nuts with it. Now you guys have me worried LOL

The brew I DID do with it had good reviews but I felt lacked a backend hops - it was just a little to bland. God malt flavor but the bittering was lacking.

The IBU was in the low 20s instead of the low 30s

I really like Horizon. I had to hunt far and wide to get the 8oz I ended up with. I used them for bittering my Christmas beer and in the 9-9-9.

A good sub is warrior or magnum. Failing that, nugget or galena are OK.

What about Summit? I don't think replacing your bittering hop will matter all that much. I bittered a Scottish shilling with friggin Amarillo and NONE of the orangey citrus of that hop came out in the beer, at all.

Latest posts

Back