How to spark fermentation that's stalled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gimmebeer

Reaction score
My Winexpert chardonnay kit started to ferment 6 days ago and never got as active as I'm used to seeing (based on the experience of nine batches of beer and one other wine kit).

As I'm nearing the 7-day mark when it should be nearly ready to rack to a carboy, it's at about 1.040. The floating thermometer is right at 70 degrees. Seems my fermentation may need a little encouragement. Would you folks suggest I try to warm fermentation, stir a bit, add another packet of yeast? I'm open to ideas.

I followed their directions to just sprinkle the yeast on top, against my better judgement and wonder if that's part of the problem.

I just had a fat tire clone kit (not wine, sorry) that had stopped a little early. It read about 1.017. Acceptable, but a little high. This was the first time using s-33 yeast, so I was not sure what to expect. I gave it a good swirl, and then I went away for the weekend, set the thermostat at 80 for 3 days and the basement temp probably got up to 75 or so. It was "done" I thought, but when I got back, it had a new layer of krausen on it. I say warm it up, give the carboy a few quick twists (liquid wants to stay still, yeast goes for a ride, and doesnt cause any splashing). I never made wine though, so this may go against everything you know :).

Behold the power of the forum. I got back from work (the original post was submitted from there) and discovered all was righteous: Gravity now under 1.020 (meaning ready to rack). I think it was the power of the forum that did it - or it could have been that stir I gave the yeast yesterday or the fact my wife was home and opened up the house to the 80-degree outdoors today.

Oh, and s3n8, even without wine know-how, I think you hit it on the head: Warm it up, stir it up. You may have a career ahead of you in winemaking.

Hehe, my brother makes wine. It gives me terrible headaches.

He is pretty good at it, been at it a while. Most commercial red wine does the same thing. I taught him how to make beer last weekend, so there is hope for him yet.

Back