A couple of quick questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kythcat

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions-- though I think one of them could belong in the DYI forum, so I will start with that one first.

Have kegged water now for over 6 months, and the kids and I are very happy. Over the weekend, the picnic tap I have to serve it is now causing problems, such as spraying water everywhere. We have to connect/disconnect it when we pour our soda. That is getting old fast. After looking over some options, we settled on getting a single tap tower that I can mount on the counter by the sink (the keg is stored under the sink). Is it cheaper to get all the parts and make the tower out of pvc pipe, or spend the money and get one ready made?

And this now leads me to question #2: I remember seeing (or reading) somewhere that it is possible to hook up a McCann (or the like) carbonator pump to a keg. It would be nice for us since that would mean no downtime while the water carbs up and we would have the soda on demand. Can someone point me to the right direction (as in easy directions) of how this can be done?

As far as a tower goes, good deals can be had pretty often on ebay (I scored one for $30), or you can often find good deals on shanks/goosenecks/faucets to build your own. Building one is pretty trivial and will cost less if you get used/cheap components, but you'll want to put some extra time into getting it to look nice if it's part of your kitchen decor.

If you're only serving carbonated water, the carbonator would be plumbed directly into your fresh water supply, no keg required.

You could also just lay your corny keg over a piece of 2x4 and tilt it back and forth to slosh for a few minutes under pressure and build carbonation fast. Kids are great for this job.

Most of the pre-built tower kits come with chrome shanks and faucets which are likely to corrode over time. I'd opt for stainless steel shanks and faucets, but the tower itself can be chrome.

Back