Arghh I Hate Waiting!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roughster

Reaction score
Is the best plan just to keep buying carboys and brewing new stuff till some of the older stuff is ready? I can't stand the waiting!

Current Crop:
Skeeter Pee - Ready June 1st
Apfelwein - Ready August 1st
Orange Wine aka ABP aka Aaron's Bottle of Puke - Ready Ready August 1st, 2014

Roughster said:
Is the best plan just to keep buying carboys and brewing new stuff till some of the older stuff is ready? I can't stand the waiting!

Current Crop:
Skeeter Pee - Ready June 1st
Apfelwein - Ready August 1st
Orange Wine aka ABP aka Aaron's Bottle of Puke - Ready Ready August 1st, 2014

Yep, I was adding carboys every time I started a new batch.

What is puke??

Yep, I was adding carboys every time I started a new batch.

What is puke??

Basically the Jack Keller Orange Wine Recipe (2):

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques33.asp

I was reading some threads and laughing because a lot of people say it smells like puke, tastes like puke, and causes you to puke hence I started calling it ABP as a joke with my friends. Ironically, they are all more excited to try the ABP then the Skeeter Pee or Apfelwein!

why would anyone intentionally make a bottle of puke???

the best thing to do is make one that doesn't take long to be ready, then as soon as that is done, start the long term batches. that way you can enjoy the first one while waiting for the other to finish.

Any recommendations on "Fast Drinkers"? As you can see above I have a Skeeter Pee and Apfelwein going. What is a quick fix? All help appreciated! I have another 3 carboys on order and would love to get a quick turn around brew going!

Any recommendations on "Fast Drinkers"? As you can see above I have a Skeeter Pee and Apfelwein going. What is a quick fix? All help appreciated! I have another 3 carboys on order and would love to get a quick turn around brew going!

My honest advice is to get into beer brewing. HBT is great source of information. There are some styles of beer that are ready to drink in a few weeks.

If you don't like beer, of course you can always make Kilju :D

I've heard zinfandel doesn't need much time. also, the Island Mist kits are ready to drink as soon as they are bottled.

Hogarthe said:
I've heard zinfandel doesn't need much time. also, the Island Mist kits are ready to drink as soon as they are bottled.

White Zinfandel, any other white wine are early drinkers.

Cheap white kits.

I've made a few different 'cooler' type ideas, just ferment your juice of choice( I've done mixed berry, pineapple mango, various quick ciders and I just started a peach version.) I like a OG of 1.050-1.070, so add sugar if necessary, ferment out completely, then let it clear. I've cold crashed at times to speed it up. When its clear, rack off sediment, sweeten to taste(with concentrate or sweetener of choice) bottle in grolsh flip top or beer bottles, then let it carbonate.

You can then pasteurize or refrigerate . They've been a hit with guests and take about 2 weeks start to finish.

My honest advice is to get into beer brewing. HBT is great source of information. There are some styles of beer that are ready to drink in a few weeks.

If you don't like beer, of course you can always make Kilju :D

I made some Kilju recently, it seems to be taking an age to clear, not that i have high expectations of it ...

juice wines are faster, but its still wine waiting not beer waiting.

the only way is to keep it rolling. a couple bottle aging, a couple bulk aging, a couple fermenting and one in the must bucket

You are supposed to age wine???? I've had a couple one galleon batches that never saw a bottle. For some reason they dissapeared in all my sampleing! I kinda like half done wine :)
You know how you make a little extra each batch for topping off? Those never seam to get used as top off wines...... I wonder what happened to them?? 😁 Then there is too much head space so you rack into assorted jug sizes and the last little bit just ends up in a glass....
But then again, I do just make fruit wines, or wild grape. No "real" wine from wine grapes. Those wine grapes take too long to age!

However, even three months for a quick wine is not quick! That is why they invented store bought wine! So we can keep drinking while the good stuff makes:)

I made some Kilju recently, it seems to be taking an age to clear, not that i have high expectations of it ...

Yup, that's the spirit!
It's in the essence of Kilju to have a bad color and taste, so don't bother clearing it. 1-2 weeks in the ferementer and then to bottling :mug:

Yup, that's the spirit!
It's in the essence of Kilju to have a bad color and taste, so don't bother clearing it. 1-2 weeks in the ferementer and then to bottling :mug:

It is clearish, just not crystal. Ill rack again sometime and add a few finings. It didn't cost me anything to make as i was given the sugar, i suppose you have to try these things.

I started a Hefe two days ago that will be ready for bottling on 5/18ish. I am thinking always having a beer batch going is going to be me "quick drinker" strategy until I get deeper into my pipeline of wines!

the apple I have been brewing taste great straight out of the secondary. 7-10 days in primary, 21 days in secondary, it was so good I only made 1 bottle and swilled the rest of the 5 gals in a weekend!

The weekend!

me.jpg

rich.jpg

spanky.jpg

^ Awesome.. lol

I hold myself over by taking a half a shot glass sample every time I rack.. But alot of my past 1 gallon wine test batches never made it past 3 months of age... From start to finish..

^ I agree, I don't really see any reason for 1 gal batchs, maybe for testing new recipe/flavors etc... right now I have 10 gals apple and 1 gal apple/cherry. It will ALL be gone June 6-9 lol

^ I agree, I don't really see any reason for 1 gal batchs, maybe for testing new recipe/flavors etc... right now I have 10 gals apple and 1 gal apple/cherry. It will ALL be gone June 6-9 lol

For me, 1 gallon batches are my test batches to see what works and what I like. Not only are they cheap to put together, but if you're a cheap bastard like me, you can use 1 gallon water jugs for the whole process if you want... Like I still do.. lol :mug:

Back