Help syphoning my brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Epicenur

Reaction score
Making a homemade apple-cider mead, haven't put it in the 2nd fermentor yet. I have some aquarium tube that I had for pet fish. Anyway I can make a home-made syphon?

Try filling the line with water. Stick one end in the brew (with the other end covered by your finger) then stick the covered end into your next vessel (which will be at a lower height than the brew) and uncover the end. Gravity (and suction) should drain your brew into the new holding vessel!

Very simple (and primative), but it is a proven method when all you've got is some tubing. Hope that helps!

I wouldn't use the tubing for my beer/wine if it had previously been used to drain or clean your pet fishes aquarium. For no more than the tubing costs at your local hardware store (.29 to .39 cents a foot) just go out and get some new tubing that has not been exposed to any forms of bacteria.

Oh yea i meant i had a new aquarium tube that's been sitting around for a long time, didnt mean used lol.

Back