Slipped up on innovative brew!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigKahuna

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, because I'm insane, I decided to make a really off the wall brew for the county BMC homebrew comp.
Grain bill was simple enough! 4# 6 row, 1# crystal 10.
Hops were .25 citra at 45 min, 3/4 at flame out.
Brew in a bag works great for me for these 3-4 gallon batches, but not this time! I opted to bump the temp 3 degrees at about 10 min left in the mash, but forgot about it and BOILED THE GRAINS for about 15 min!
Damn!
On we go, tannins be damned! Added a jalapeño and a green chili, 2 handfuls of blueberries and a hand full of strawberries!
Fermented with Premiere Cuve wine yeast, and hope to have it bottle cared and pourable in the next 11 days!

Wish me luck!

I would be more concerned about a strong caramelized taste than tannins.
You probably scorched something in there.

Also if you are bottling I would say that 11 days is impossible unless you are going to force carbonate in a keg then transfer to bottles.

Looking back at your info and seeing that you have been onsite since 2008 I would imagine this is what you intend to do.

Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

Theory has it that tannins require a high pH in order to be extracted. Boiling the mash is not a problem. Decoction works that way and has for centuries.

Homercidal said:
. Decoction works that way and has for centuries.
In 9 days, I will let you know!
I am keeping my fingers crossed! The air lock smells like heaven! The only question is do I chance bottle carbing?
Obviously, force carbing and bottling is easiest, but I have had luck before.......

I open one bottle after 2 weeks conditioning at room temperature. That is after 21 days in the fermenter. I would say that maybe 60% of them are OK, in carbonation level, at 2 weeks. All of them taste better after 3 weeks.

You just brewed it, and you want to have it bottle conditioned 11 days from now? Those are some rosey colored glasses ;)
On the positive side, I doubt boiling the grains did anything.

bottlebomber said:
You just brewed it, and you want to have it bottle conditioned 11 days from now? Those are some rosey colored glasses ;)
On the positive side, I doubt boiling the grains did anything.

The good news, is that I AM KAHUNA!
The bad news... It's gonna need force carbed! I know it... Just not ready to admit it!

The good news, is that I AM KAHUNA!
The bad news... It's gonna need force carbed! I know it... Just not ready to admit it!

I've had a wheat beer carb up fully in one day.. But that's not really ideal, and you can't count on it.

bottlebomber said:
I've had a wheat beer carb up fully in one day.. But that's not really ideal, and you can't count on it.

Right! Usually these "rushed brews" carb up a LOY faster due to a ton of residual suspended yeast. I may bottle at day 6 and see f it'll carb up in 4... Or I'll keg it. Sigh.... I just really don't want to keg this beer!

Well, I must face reality.
The only way this is going to happen is to keg it.
I will have this beer racked with KC Finings before I'm done typing. Tomorrow or Monday, I will keg it and bottle from the keg on Wednesday for the Thursday comp.
The good news, is that it's a pretty good beer.
The chili give a strange finish that burns, but no flavor. Somewhat like eating a red pepper chocolate bar. you don't taste the chili, but you soon realize your throat feels like you ate a whole bowl of salsa.
Can't wait to taste this thing in a month or two!

Well, I must face reality.
The only way this is going to happen is to keg it.
I will have this beer racked with KC Finings before I'm done typing. Tomorrow or Monday, I will keg it and bottle from the keg on Wednesday for the Thursday comp.
The good news, is that it's a pretty good beer.
The chili give a strange finish that burns, but no flavor. Somewhat like eating a red pepper chocolate bar. you don't taste the chili, but you soon realize your throat feels like you ate a whole bowl of salsa.
Can't wait to taste this thing in a month or two!

Make sure you post back and let us know how it does!

(And by the way, it's nice to "see"you again!)

Kegged this brew tonight!
Taste: clean! Mildly malty, mildly hoppy, mildly spicy, very mildly complex! A winner with this crowd for sure!
Pouring on Thursday night.
ISN'T THIS A FINE ****ING TIME TO HAVE AN EMPTY C02 BOTTLE!
Loaned the big bottle to a food booth that has a soda fountain! F uck Fu ck! F uck!
Guess I'll be looking for a small bottle tomorrow! This may be a $300 competition brew!
FUC K!!!!

See that makes sense. Since you didn't type anything in the "editing" box, it doesn't appear! Remarkable! I kid, I never type anything there either. I'm perfect. :(

Back