Another High FG...but I already bottled?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabull25

Reaction score
I brewed a stout 3 weeks ago with chocolate and coffee. I had an OG of 1.070. I did use a secondary for the final week to add some oak chips. I forgot to check the gravity before I bottled the beer and it FG is 1.026. Is it okay that I bottled at that gravity? I know it is a bit high. Is there anything else I should/can do?

So your attenuation was 63% (assuming those gravities were already adjusted for temperature). That's pretty low [but not unheard of].

We need more info on your recipe, mash temps, yeast, pitching rate, aeration, and ferm temps. How long has it been in teh bottle now?

I agree with the second poster, please provide more info! :)

That being said, there is nothing you can do right now besides drink it and learn from your mistakes. :mug:

Any word on how this turned out?

I bottled a Belgian Tripel yesterday at 1.028 that had been stuck for a week, thinking it was done. This FG was obtained AFTER 3 ounces of priming sugar was added. This is also for a 2.5 gallon batch.

I'm trying to discern if I have a potential situation on my hands. I have vented all bottles an raised temp to see if anything kick starts. I'll test again in 48 hours. If there is no change in FG, then I think it's as good as its going to get. This would be from a 1.070 start - first and last time using a Brewferm kit.

Three ounces of sugar will get you about 4 points in 2.5 gallons, so your FG was probably around 1024. That's a little high but should be drinkable in a Tripel.

Since you added the priming sugar, you will see a change over the next couple days as it ferments out. You'll also need to re-prime before you re-cap. Since you've already bottled, carb drops would probably be your best bet.

Any idea about how many points 2.6 weighed oz of DME would give in 2.25 gallons? I too added my priming solution prior to taking my FG for my Oatmeal Stout. It looked like 1.028 which is way off mark. I should have hit close to 1.020. OR I just can't read a hydrometer. I'm thinking it was around 1.024 based on the above post. I mashed at 156 for 60 min so I may have more unfermentable sugars.

Back