Could I use this keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duvel

Reaction score
I was reading this thread when i realised I have a keg in the back garden my father was using for decorative reasons...

Here's some pictures:
keg.jpg
top of keg.jpg

Heheh I feel like it's going to waste just sitting there! Was looking around hbd.org but couldn't find much about modifying it to use instead of bottles. I've little experience here and was wondering if anyone had suggestions if I could actually use/modify it for anything? Comments and suggestions all welcome :)

Also is it possible/practical when using a keg not to force carbonate it but just normal prime it in the keg?

Thanks
-Dec

Homebrewers generally don't use commercial 1/2 kegs for fermentation, they are just too big. By the same token, this is the size of keg that people convert into mash tuns and boil kettles. I'd recommend brush blasting to remove the paint, cutting the top out and putting a faucet on it. It will make a great kettle!

To carbonate in a cornie or minikeg, just add priming sugar. I use my cornies for secondary fermentation and dispensing. The first pint drawn clears most of the yeast out.

david_42 said:
Homebrewers generally don't use commercial 1/2 kegs for fermentation, they are just too big. By the same token, this is the size of keg that people convert into mash tuns and boil kettles. I'd recommend brush blasting to remove the paint, cutting the top out and putting a faucet on it. It will make a great kettle!

To carbonate in a cornie or minikeg, just add priming sugar. I use my cornies for secondary fermentation and dispensing. The first pint drawn clears most of the yeast out.

To carbonate in a cornie, just add CO2. You'll need a CO2 source to dispense anyway, so save yourself the sediment involved when priming and just hook up your CO2 source to carbonate.

duvel, Sabco Industries sells modified 15.5 gallon kegs as fermentors. nice too.

but, i'd use it like a brew kettle as dave 42 said. find a plasma cutter or use a small grinder to cut the top out. you can get weldless fittings for a valve or get someone to weld one on. take a look at my brew system in my gallery and you'll get an idea of what you can do with it.

Beermaker said:
Damn Brian, I did not know you were here......Cool, A fellow Golden Triangle Homebrew club member..... :drunk:
sho am brew bro! glad your here too. just got my lap top in this week and internet back up saturday. haven't been active since that biiii-aaaatch Rita hit.
brewed my first post-evacuation brew today. fat tire clone. :D

you doing okay?????

cool. i wondered when/where it was. (sorry to hijack the thread duvel!)

duvel, did you ever check out Sabco's web site?

Latest posts

Back