what CAD program are people using?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrazza

Reaction score
What CAD program are people using when drawing out wiring diagrams that show equipment photos attached to their drawn out wires? Thanks.

I use Visio which isn't really a CAD program at all...I'd love one that actually showed currents and issues...and be able to run simple simulations

They used to have ones like that for circuit planning but I haven't seen one in years

I use Visio which isn't really a CAD program at all...I'd love one that actually showed currents and issues...and be able to run simple simulations

They used to have ones like that for circuit planning but I haven't seen one in years
I used one like that for hydraulic circuits in my fluid power engineering class years back. I imagine that would be handy for electrical circuits as well.

TB

I use Microsoft Image Composer. I can place all of the images, and bits & pieces necessary to create my diagrams. It also allows me to use different layers so that objects can be placed in front or behind others. When finished, I can save it as a JPG file. I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager to create, resize and adjust image components.

Visio. And I don't even use the electrical components. Just the standard "flowchart" stuff with everything clearly labeled.

I use Microsoft Image Composer. I can place all of the images, and bits & pieces necessary to create my diagrams. It also allows me to use different layers so that objects can be placed in front or behind others. When finished, I can save it as a JPG file. I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager to create, resize and adjust image components.

And I must add that he's pretty damn good with that program, too. :mug:

TB

Huff360, where did you get your libraries for pSPICE? I've always used the student version which doesn't have much in the way of analog components. Great for simple digital circuits, but that's not of much help in brewery building...

I got a "full version" on a special deal while in school and it had a fair number of components built in. To be honest though, I hadn't really thought about what is and is not in there.

That is a pretty good point. Most everything that I've done in it has been digital.... Hmmmm maybe that was a bad recommendation.

Most everything that I've done in it has been digital.... Hmmmm maybe that was a bad recommendation.

Not at all, it is a good recommendation. I have not used it for years, but this is a very usefull analog circuit simulator. It can do generic components out of the box and IC manufacturers publish spice models for their op amps.

I used Microsoft Visio to draw up my diagrams like this:

power.jpg

Mine aren't really schematics or anything that most Electrical Engineers would recognize. That was sort of the point: I wanted to draw up something that non EE's could read.

I did spend a lot of time getting the photos of the items just right. Some were stock photos (ie: the shunt, light, buses, fuse, power in above) while others were ones I took photos of myself and then carefully Photoshopped to cut them out (ie: switch and relay).

Kal

Latest posts

Back