bad to boil grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidgaeta

Reaction score
I was brewing a brown nut ale and didn't realize how hot the wort was until I put the bags of specialy malts in, and it started to boil. It said to leave the malts in for 20 minutes, but I only left it in for 15 minutes. Is there any way I can salvage this batch or should I throw it out? I don't know much about mashing, but is that a possibility? How do you think it would taste?

dg

Dont throw it out. Boiling grains is bad....extracts tannins that you don't want in your beer. But with speciality grains, its such a small part of the entire batch that I don't think it would make that much of a difference...definitely not enough to ruin a batch. Just pay a little more attention next and relax...dont worry...have a homebrew.

Boiling grains is not a good thing but don't throw it out until you taste and see if it is borked.You will know if it has tannins because it will taste astringent.

Definitely don't throw it out yet. In theory, boiling grains is likely to extract excess tannins, but when I started brewing, I made a few batches where the recipe called for bringing the steeping grains to a boil before removing them. I wouldn't want to do this now, but the batches tasted just fine.

-a.

Taste it. If the tannins aren't a problem, it's beer! Boil some black tea for 5 minutes, if you don't know what astringent tastes like.

Boiling grains is generally a bad idea, but decoctions are all about boiling the grains. So, it has its place.

Back