Amber Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave258

Reaction score
Putting together an order from Austin Homebrew. One of the grain bills is for the DFH India Brown ale recipe. It calls for 3/4 lb amber malt. I can not find amber malt on their site besides amber malt extract. Am I missing it or can it be called something else or do they not carry it?
Anyone know?

It could be called brown malt. Amber malt and brown malt are different malts (as far as I know), but have similar characteristics - in terms of flavour and colour.

I've used brown malt in a brown porter.

From what I found, you have to make it from regular pale malt. Anyone do it?

It could be called brown malt. Amber malt and brown malt are different malts (as far as I know), but have similar characteristics - in terms of flavour and colour.

I've used brown malt in a brown porter.

I read someone else that subed brown for amber, but beersmith gives different descriptions. Says that Amber is more biscuity and has intense flavor. Brown says buscuit flavor used in nut brown ales, porters and belgians.
Either I'll roast some pale malt, or get lazy and buy brown... I liked this beer, and want it to come out good!

I haven't, but for my beer tomorrow I'm subbing biscuit malt for the amber malt in my recipe. It's not a perfect sub, but it's ok.

Biscuit malt, not even the brown malt? If it is good enough for you, I'm sure it will be good for me!
Thanks.

BTW, your Ruination recipe is also being ordered with this stuff. That is another great beer, but costs $19.00 a sixer around here!

Biscuit malt, not even the brown malt? If it is good enough for you, I'm sure it will be good for me!
Thanks.

BTW, your Ruination recipe is also being ordered with this stuff. That is another great beer, but costs $19.00 a sixer around here!

Yes- the biscuit malt will be close. Not exactly the same, but close. The brown malt is totally different, in my opinion.

The Ruination clone is good! I like it, and it came out well.

Roasting pale malt is really, really easy. Dump it on a pan, throw it in the oven, mix it up a couple of times, and out comes amber malt.

Not only will you get the malt you need for your recipe, but it will also have a fresher taste to it.

Amber malt is delicious stuff. Northern brewer carries it - it's from Crisp malting. It is definitely different than brown malt. Brown malt has a very coffee-like dryness to it, while amber is very much baked bread flavor. Moreso than biscuit, which is more grainy and light.

Back