Which specialty grains in a weissbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franzi

Reaction score
I plan on making another batch of weissbier, but don't remember what specialty grains I steeped. Any suggestions which would boost head retention and mouthfeel?

Thanks!

If you're making a wheat beer you shouldn't have to worry about head retention. I suppose if you want to increase your mouthfeel you could go with 1/2 lb. flaked wheat and/or 1/2 lb. flaked oats, but I think Hefe is one of the few styles where you can get away with straight extract.

Thanks.

Any other thoughts/comments folks? Even if you think you're wrong, or aren't sure what you're talking about, let's hear your opinion! :)

A few ounces of dextrin malt to increase head retention and/or mouthfeel. At least that's what I was told.

If you're making a wheat beer you shouldn't have to worry about head retention. I suppose if you want to increase your mouthfeel you could go with 1/2 lb. flaked wheat and/or 1/2 lb. flaked oats, but I think Hefe is one of the few styles where you can get away with straight extract.

Agree
It is in the nature of wheat malt to have tons of mouthfeel even in a low OG brew. Head retention will likewise not be an issue - wheat makes the wort/beer super foamy.

Thanks for the input guys/gals!

I ended up getting 8oz of some carapils (dextrin malt). Is it really worth it? Maybe not, but it's nice out now and spending an extra 30 minutes outdoors is a good thing ;).

Back