Whoops! Forgotten ingredients.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mehron

Reaction score
So, yesterday I brewed up a Dubbel recipe from Papazian's book which was pretty simple to start with. Well, I was cleaning up and I noticed that somehow, I had actually forgotten to use the dried malt extract!

This is the recipe:

3.3lbs Breis Dark Syrup
3.3 Breis Golden Light Syrup
1.5 extra light DME
1.25 Oz Styrian Goldings hops

I'm not sure how I did it, but I think it's just because this was the first time I've used DME, so it totally slipped my mind.

So, my question would be, what can I expect from this? Would it be worth going through fermentation?

So far, there actually isn't any activity in the airlock, but I'm thinking that has more to do with the temperature in my house.

The beer will be fine. It won't be as heavy or powerful as a originally intended, but it'll still be drinkable.

mehron said:
So, yesterday I brewed up a Dubbel recipe from Papazian's book which was pretty simple to start with. Well, I was cleaning up and I noticed that somehow, I had actually forgotten to use the dried malt extract!

This is the recipe:

3.3lbs Breis Dark Syrup
3.3 Breis Golden Light Syrup
1.5 extra light DME
1.25 Oz Styrian Goldings hops

I'm not sure how I did it, but I think it's just because this was the first time I've used DME, so it totally slipped my mind.

So, my question would be, what can I expect from this? Would it be worth going through fermentation?

So far, there actually isn't any activity in the airlock, but I'm thinking that has more to do with the temperature in my house.

If it were me I would boil the DME in some water and dump it in your fermenter after it cools. That's just me but I'm not big on very low gravity beers.

RichBrewer said:
If it were me I would boil the DME in some water and dump it in your fermenter after it cools. That's just me but I'm not big on very low gravity beers.

Hmm. I was wondering about doing something like that, but I've already pitched the yeast. Would that be a problem?

mehron said:
Hmm. I was wondering about doing something like that, but I've already pitched the yeast. Would that be a problem?
I don't think it would so long as the extract is sanitized by boiling before you pour it in. (and cooled of course)

RichBrewer said:
I don't think it would so long as the extract is sanitized by boiling before you pour it in. (and cooled of course)

Maybe I'll give it a shot. How much water would you suggest boiling 1.5 lbs of DME in? Also, how long? Considering there are no hops going in, it shouldn't need to be nearly as long as the original boil, right?

All you need is enough water to dissolve the DME. I'd start with a quart of boiling water. Dissolve the DME off the heat, boil five minutes to sanitize, cool to fermenter temperature and add.

mehron said:

Nope. They'll eat whatever fermentables are given to them. Just make sure you do as these guys suggest and sanitize everything and MAKE SURE the stuff you heat up is cool before your dump it in. Be careful not to splash very much when you pour it into the fermenter, as that may aerate the wort again.

Great. I'll try adding it tonight. I'll just make sure to siphon it in smoothly with a sanitized tube.

Back