Traditional Norway/Denmark recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arc_1mpuls3

Reaction score
Hey I've been searching the internet for a few days and haven't come up with precisely what I'm looking for. Basically as I understand it, you need water, honey, yeast, and some form of nutrients for the yeast. My friend is trying to tell me that nettles is traditional. Were the nutrients not neccessary back then because of the open vats?

I also realize that making mead in that way, with so little control over the brew may result in bad tastes. I am only trying to get as close as I can to what was traditional in those areas while still maintaining some form of control. I am sorry if there is information about this somewhere here but I cannot find it, and I am getting frustrated. Thanks :)

I found a Swedish recipe that sounds pretty good to me (I don't know anything about mead though). It's made by some guy who works as a rune carver, so I think he knows what he's talking about.

I don't have time to translate the entire recipe right now so I used google. Let me know if there's any mistakes in it and remember that we use Celsius degrees in Sweden.

Well, a lot of the old recipes I have seen used things like raisins, etc to provide nutrients for the yeast.
Going classical is nice and I have done it many times, but really if you want a fantastic mead, read the sticky FAQ's above and use the SNA method. Fermentation goes much faster and produces a much cleaner, fantastic mead. I am also very happy that I asked my LHBS about DAP and FermentK, and he turned around and ordered it. :)
As old school as I am, sometimes you just have to adapt when a better process comes around. Case in point I would rather drive my car than walk 30 miles or use a horse and buggy.

Thank you all for your replies! I am only interested in a taste as close as I can get to what it should have tasted like to them, not so much interested in traditional brewing practices. I would really like to nail the original and then experiment. Just went out and bought all the beggining supplies!

arc_1mpuls3 - Well welcome to the obsession and best of luck. Just remember to sanitize everything and age it a long time and I'm sure your come out with something that taste great.

Latest posts

Back