I so need an outside burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hegh

Reaction score
I brewed up a 5 gal batch in a 10 gal pot today, no boilovers or anything, but somehow I still got a little bit of wort around all of the burners on my stove. That stuff if a b*tch to clean up!

I think my next investment will be a turkey fryer or similar.

What are people's favorite models (please include links, if possible)?

Depends on a lot of things,

But for 5 gallon batches, really any old fryer will due. The most recommended one is the one that you get for the lowest price. Basic models usually come with a 55,000 BTU burner, which is good for 5 gallons, and passable for 10 gallons. If your pot is big, make sure the stand will accommodate it.

I got mine from bass pro shops. I paid 39, and I see they are 69 now. Wait for a sale. Big box Home improvement stores usually carry them. I recently got a 15 gallon pot that my stand will not hold up with more than 8 gallons. (It starts to bend.) It also has a couple of "pot holder" arms that needed to be removed.

Yes, burnt wort is a pain. Soft scrub and elbow grease. :mug:

I have the Bayou Classic SQ-14 burner. I'm super happy with it, I can get 7.5 gals. of wort boiling in 15-20 minutes after the mash and I've never really cranked it up all the way. It's pretty sturdy, I know some brewers here use it with a keggle. Picked it up on sale for $38 bucks at Home Depot

sq14.jpg

I bought a "Masterbuilt 7 In 1 Smoker And Grill" when it was on sale for $75.00 delivered. I believe it was a blow out clearance sale and if you can find it for under a $100 it is a steal. Not the best burner made but the stand is strong & large and you can use it for bbq/smoking/turkey frying, etc. I bought it from Tractor Supply Co, I don't see it online anymore.

I have the Bayou Classic SQ-14 burner. I'm super happy with it, I can get 7.5 gals. of wort boiling in 15-20 minutes after the mash and I've never really cranked it up all the way. It's pretty sturdy, I know some brewers here use it with a keggle. Picked it up on sale for $38 bucks at Home Depot

sq14.jpg

That looks pretty good, and I've got two Home Depots nearby. Any idea what the maximum weight is on it?

I'm not sure exactly. It's not super sturdy, but it's more than adequate for 10 gal batchs, well over 100 lbs

I'm not sure exactly. It's not super sturdy, but it's more than adequate for 10 gal batchs, well over 100 lbs

Awesome. With a 10 gal pot, the max I could ever really load it with is about 85 lbs. And that'd be for an 8 gal 1.200, which I doubt I'll do any time in the foreseeable future.

Where do you buy a decent burner? I would prefer to shop in-store. I have a Menards, Blain's farm and fleet, and a ACE by me. Would any of these sell something like this?

Try agri supply for some cheap propane regulators, burners, and stands.

Here's a link to the burners and regulators page:
BURNERS & REGULATORS - Agri Supply

I already had a high pressure regulator, so I purchased the 9.99 burner at bottom.. actually I purchased two and have successfully run them both off a single high pressure regulator. They are cheap but generate a heck of a flame and sound like a jet engine. I can get a decent but not violent boil going in a converted keg with 11 or so gallons of wort using one of these.

Back