Has brewing affected your opinion of commercial beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhumbline

Reaction score
Just curious. I got into brewing because I have always liked beer. Never really been into the BMC side of things, nor the really oddball stuff. I mostly enjoyed the offerings from Dogfish, Longboard, etc.

I've noticed since I started brewing that commercial beers all seem bland at best. I was recently given a four pack of some special edition brew that was supposed to be fantastic. I could barely drink one bottle. Went to a local chain restaurant that brews their own and was equally unimpressed.

This isn't me saying that I brew better than the pro's, but I've noticed that if I'm as critical of the commercial brews as I am of mine they all fall short.

Anyone else experienced this?

Sort of. I still like the micro brew stuff, but I enjoy less commercial lagers. I really used to enjoy Yuengling, Sam Adams, and even Blue Moon. Now, although they are still good, I don't dig them as much.

One of my epiphany moments was when I could tell the difference between a "bad" beer and a quality beer that had some ingredients I didn't like. Another moment was finding a beer I liked in a style I didn't like. Then it was finding a beer I liked with an ingredient I didn't like.

So, I guess homebrewing has widened my horizons. I like a greater variety than I liked before. I also consider myself to be more of a beer enthusiast now than a beer snob.

I guess my final thought is that while I tend to brew unusual combinations, I tend to buy classic. I'll make things like Brett IPAs, Imperial Wheats, Pumpkin Saisons, Hazelnut Milk Stouts and Banana-Lavender Meads. But if I'm buying it, give me something simple and uncomplicated: roasty stout, c-hop APA, noble hop pilsner.

EDIT: I'm not sure if that all got to the question or not. So one more final thought: no, it hasn't spoiled me of commercial beer. I think I just drink it for different reasons than I brew.

I do, however, sometimes wish I could drink a beer without thinking about its ingredients and flavors. I need to learn how to turn that off.

Homebrewing has improved my palette and sensory recognition immensely.

I still enjoy commercial beers for sure but there has been a huge proliferation in the market place and quite honestly there have been more than several the are either average at best or downright bad.

Just because a beer is commercial doesn't always mean its good, it just means someone had the wherewithal to go pro and someone gave them a spot on the market:)

Yes it has. I never drank BMC much and thought Long Board was good. Now I go looking for a dark (amber or darker) craft brew first before considering something lighter. Definitely has increased what my palate can detect.

I almost pissed off a server at a brew pub for asking if they might have accidentally poured the porter twice for the taster tray. Had to let the "stout" and porter warm up to taste any difference; turns out the porter had toffee notes and the stout had more roast to it.

I think the freshness factor is what sets homebrew apart from any craft or commercial brews. Once you taste a 3 week old dry hopped bitter on tap, that $20 IIPA that's 3 months old at the store just doesn't cut it anymore.

That's the biggest one for me.

Went to a party at a friends and they decided we were playing beer pong, so they grabbed a couple racks of Bud and Bud Light. I must have drank 15 Buds and was lightly buzzed, my daughter was worried about me walking home and I couldn't convince her I wasn't drunk.

The weird thing is I don't normally drink much and usually 2 or 3 pints of 5.5% beer will put me into the drunk stage.

Has changed my opinion of commercial beer? Not really but it has changed my opinion of American Lager offerings from the BMC type producers as being bland and overpriced.

I tend to be a lot more selective in my choice of beer now. There are certain beers that I like and Breweries that I think produce some really great beers. I like nearly everything they do (Lagunitas, Stone, Pinglehead, Green Flash, Cigar City, etc.).

I don't support BMC or InBev because I don't like their business practices, political manipulations and just plain old arrogance for what amounts to essentially poor to mediocre product. I'm glad they're losing ground in annual sales and i'm also glad local distributors aren't quite as bullied by them as they used to be.

My tastes in beer have changed over the years. I've gone from drinking coronas in college to advanced mixology of "Whale" beers to present a new flavor/taste to friends and family. It's always fun to mix alternating one ounce pours of Dark Lord and Pumpking in a small snifter in front of a beer snob as they watch wide-eyed in horror, until they taste it.

I have definately become more critical but would stop far short of saying that all commercial beers are bland. I think we have seen the craftbrew movement take the term "commercial beer" in a whole new direction. While I still enjoy a tradtional commercial lager based on occasion, like others, I think homebrewing has broadened my palate and my appreciation for the spectrum of beers available.

I travel extensively for business and I will admit that I tend to avoid restaurants that do not have at least some craftbrew options on their beer list. Just like looking for a menu with a variety of food options, I have come to expect the same with beer.

Chris

I think tasting something other than a Budweiser, Miller, or Coors is what did it for me. I was at a Mexican Resteraunt and tried a Negro Modelo. That was the "so, that's what beer tastes like" moment that changed things for me.

It's been an adventure ever since.

J
I've noticed since I started brewing that commercial beers all seem bland at best. I was recently given a four pack of some special edition brew that was supposed to be fantastic. I could barely drink one bottle. Went to a local chain restaurant that brews their own and was equally unimpressed.

You're buying the wrong beer.

1. Home brew
2. Micro-Brew
3. Craft Beer
4. Commercial beer
Not like this. I like good beer. My opinion on the subject has changed since I started brewing, and I've certainly become more critical, but to pigeonhole brew scales into a hierarchy like the above is pure and simple snobbery.

Besides, some of the absolute worst beer I've ever had was homebrewed...

You're buying the wrong beer.

Yeah, there's no doubt there are great beers out there. My point was that my perception of how good a beer was, changed when I started to pay close attention to it and to look at it as critically as I review my own beers.

Pete

Yeah, there's no doubt there are great beers out there. My point was that my perception of how good a beer was, changed when I started to pay close attention to it and to look at it as critically as I review my own beers.

Pete

Restated this way, I agree with you. Whether it's just brewing, or whether it's also the improved palette of simply having tasted so many more beers than I ever had 10 years ago, I am as critical of commercial beer as I am of homebrew.

And when I say that, I mean to say that I hold them both to a VERY high standard.

But there are LOT of commercial beers that not only meet, but exceed that very high standard. I had a growler of Green Flash 30th Street Pale Ale last week that was heavenly.

Yes!

I used to think great beer was exclusively made by Wizards with clandestine methods and remarkable talent. It turns out, a modern homebrewer with an internet connection can make the same or even better quality beer on a much smaller scale for a fraction of the price.

I still drink commercial beer for the sake of variety and inspiration for homebrew. Now that I know how to brew beer that tastes really good to me and others, I am much more critical of commercial beer, especially if it's expensive or widely praised by people who drink and evaluate beer.

I have determined there is a limit to how good a beer can be. The price tag, rarity or public perception of a commercial beer don't influence my senses. Conversely, my opinion of the beer I've brewed isn't sugar coated just because I brewed it.

I love my new hobby...but I was a little bummed out a couple weeks ago.

Didn't have a batch ready for drinking...so we ran out and picked up a few cases of my old fav...figured if nothing else...we get beer + bottles to use.

Anyhow...after the first drink...the wife and I both agreed we didn't remember them tasting that way...and that...we prefered our beer now.

Follow up.

On the way home tonight I realized I didn't have anything chilled. That, combined with the idea that I wanted to do a pumpkin based brew next had me stop and pick up a six of Sam Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale.

It's a very polished product, clear, beautiful color, no head but decent carbonation... and it's as boring as can be. It tastes fine, but there's not a hint of any spice or special flavor to it.

Maybe that's the real benefit of homebrewing. I only have to worry about whether I'll like the end result, I don't need to appeal to enough people to sell 100.000 cases.

I think the freshness factor is what sets homebrew apart from any craft or commercial brews.
That's the biggest point for me. There's simply no way a commercial brewery can compete with my fresh beer, if I brew it correctly. As a homebrewer, I'm still dealing with consistency issues that will never be resolved to the commercial extent, as well as occasional fermentation/sanitization issues that are more likely to plague homebrewers. But as long as everything goes to plan, I've got a super-fresh brew

Learning common flavor flaws isn't reserved for homebrewers, but it certainly speeds up that process. I'd say the biggest difference is bottled homebrew that is a month or more old. Nearly always oxidized badly, whereas many commercial breweries hold up much better. Again, a systemic problem that can be minimized by experienced homebrewers but never reduced to the levels of DO from a commercial brewery.

I have become critical of commercial beer but I can stat to pick out different aspects of the beer I'm tasting. I may like what the brewer has done with the hop side of things but maybe the malt side could use a little bit of work type thing. I also like to find examples I like in styles I dislike.

I'd say yes, but not so much that I don't enjoy a commercially brewed beer occasionally. I tend to brew the styles that got me started on craft brew, (mostly English and German ales), but the more styles and brands I try, the more I want to brew. As an example, I usually didn't like Belgian or Eastern European beers, but now, I really like some of them, and want to try out more recipes.
Some of the beers I've tried fall way short of what I like, but then again, some have completely blown me away (Prairie is one of them). BMC is another matter. I try to stay away from their stuff when I can, but I still appreciate that they can produce a beer that tastes the same from year to year.

That's the biggest point for me. There's simply no way a commercial brewery can compete with my fresh beer, if I brew it correctly.

The local brewery sent out emails inviting people to try a new beer the intern created. It can not get much fresher than Friday at 4pm they are tapping the cask!

I love my new hobby...but I was a little bummed out a couple weeks ago.

Didn't have a batch ready for drinking...so we ran out and picked up a few cases of my old fav...figured if nothing else...we get beer + bottles to use.

Anyhow...after the first drink...the wife and I both agreed we didn't remember them tasting that way...and that...we prefered our beer now.

This is why I don't think I'm ever gonna have another Sam Adams Irish Red, my old standby... I want to remember it being amazing. Sam Adams Boston Lager and Noble Pils haven't survived the comparison to similar craft brews.

I've noticed since I started brewing that commercial beers all seem bland at best.

I agree with the others that say you're buying the wrong beer. There are some great micro and craft breweries out there making top notch stuff.

BUT! Your statement about bland commercial beers hints at something else that's really bugging me about the craft beer expansion:
As craft beer becomes more marketable, lots of mediocre craft breweries are jumping into the market. In my opinion their mediocre product is harming the reputation of craft brewing by diluting the pool with their sub-par product. The more of these mediocre breweries there are, the more likely somebody's first (and second, and third, and fourth...) non-BMC beer is going to be a bad experience that reinforces the "craft brew sucks" opinion of the majority of beer drinkers in the US.

Don't get me wrong, I love that craft beer is growing and that there are more choices out there. But, I feel like we are reaching a tipping point where there are more sub-par craft brews out there than there are truly well-made craft brews. I know in my local community here in north Idaho there are at least 7 different micro/craft breweries within an hour of my house in Idaho. Only two of them are truly great, another has potential, and the other 4 are mediocre to poor depending on which beer you order.

Whatever happened to pride in your craft? I'd be embarrassed to serve my friends and family beers like those other 4 breweries produce, let alone sell them to the public with my name on them.

I have some sympathy for local craft brewers. Depending on their market, they need to play it safe and produce a nice, middle of the road beer while trying to maintain some originality and uniqueness.

If they are in a place that supports the avant-garde styles, than they can take bigger chances, but in my area, for example, they need to keep things nice and boring.

There are several commercial beers that I enjoy, and I keep looking for others.

happy brewing.

Whatever happened to pride in your craft? I'd be embarrassed to serve my friends and family beers like those other 4 breweries produce, let alone sell them to the public with my name on them.

I agree with you. I will not share a batch with anyone if there is a flaw in it.

I did make one batch of beer that turned out completely flaw free however I did not care for the flavor profile the yeast contributed. It was really hard for me to enjoy knowing the extra flavors were not supposed to be there.

Since I began brewing I have more respect for the skills of craft and large commercial brewers. The ability to make the same beer exactly the the same in large batches time after time is impressive.

Yeah. I just have a few brands I will drink from. I love trying new craft in styles I like and from brands I like. I love microbrew still. But I will never touch anything from the big three, really havent in years unless I am at someones house and I need to be polite.

[QUOTE="Rhumbline"
Went to a local chain restaurant that brews their own and was equally unimpressed.

This isn't me saying that I brew better than the pro's, but I've noticed that if I'm as critical of the commercial brews as I am of mine they all fall short.

Anyone else experienced this?[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, which chain are you referring to?

It was BJ's Brewhouse.

I tried an IPA and a stout. There was nothing bad about either one, I just thought the IPA was kind of bland and the stout was thin and without a whole lot of taste.

I understand they need to appeal to a wide audience, and Daytona isn't known for discerning customers so I can't fault them for playing it safe.

I'm going to piggyback on what a lot of people have said so far:

Of course your palette changes once you start homebrewing...does that mean commercial beer gets a downgrade? I hope not. In fact, I am more impressed with great beers now that I know how hard it can be, especially experimental brews that come out well. I had a local brew that set up experiments around our state to trap wild yeast and used them to brew saisons...so amazing and different than anything I've had. Very few homebrewers could or would do something like that.

As for the freshness argument, that is nonsense. I get Maine beers that are two weeks old, as well as many other local brews. Maybe New England has a better craft scene than most but I doubt it, we are closer in proximity to breweries so that helps. You just need to find a reputable craft beer store and get to know the manager. I get most of my brews the day they hit the shelf. Have I had my share of old beer? Absolutely. I have only had one or two Mikkellers that weren't insanely old.

I try to only buy new beer. This has really helped me find some amazing brews out there that I wouldn't normally buy. And some are months old and still amazing and I wish I could get fresh.

Unfortunately, most homebrewers I meet give themselves way to much credit for their beer. Strangely enough, its usually the hombrewer that just says try this without puffing their chest or saying its amazing that makes the best beer. I have had a Belgian homebrew that blew me away...better than most. We did a blind taste test with other commercial brews and it made the top three. I made a lights out DIPA this year that just about everyone said was amazing and should be on a shelf. I am very critical of my brew and gave it around a 4 out of 5. They kept saying it was so good. I said "would you buy this or Heady?" Silence...end of story. The point being is we sometimes come across an amazing homebrew and people say its the best beer they have had. But when you compare it to some of the best commercial brews, it brings it back down to earth.

It was BJ's Brewhouse.

I tried an IPA and a stout. There was nothing bad about either one, I just thought the IPA was kind of bland and the stout was thin and without a whole lot of taste.

I understand they need to appeal to a wide audience, and Daytona isn't known for discerning customers so I can't fault them for playing it safe.

It is not just Daytona, I ran into the same problem too. The stout left me thinking I should have gotten a rootbeer.

I had an epiphany moment the other night. My wife loves Sam Adams Octoberfest. It's pretty much the only commercially made beer that I buy. I tend to think that my beer is as good if not better than most of the stuff I'm buying at a liquor store, so we don't buy commercial beer.

Anyway, I bought the Sam Adams sampler pack. We got down to the end of the box and all that was left was Boston Lager. I cracked one open expecting to be completely unimpressed. Instead I found myself loving it. This is the reason that Boston Beer Co. is the largest craft brewer in the nation. They make good beer. I may just go buy another sampler pack tonight for the Broncos game.

I had Sam Adams Boston Lager on draft out of a Sam Adams glass and was blown away at how good it was. The times I've had it out of a bottle I liked it but wasn't wowed. That is a change from before I started brewing when I thought Boston Lager out of a bottle was the end all be all of beer after Killian's.

Jim Koch doesn't screw around. Boston Lager I believe uses a triple decoction. Pretty rare in the craft scene.

Back