Is six weeks enough time to ge these beers ready?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just realized that I have 6 weeks before needing to have 3 beers ready for a party. I usually let my beers ferment for 4 weeks and then cold condition in kegs for 3 weeks at 12-14 psi.

Here are the 3 beer styles I was planning to make:

American Pale Ale (SG: 1.052, 37 IBUs)

India Pale Ale (SG: 1.069, 59 IBUs)

Oatmeal Stout (SG: 1.054, 36 IBUs)

I can do the dry hopping in the keg as the beers are conditioning instead of doing this during week 4 of the fermentation.

Any opinions out there on this?

I'd say that 6 weeks is pushing it if you were bottling, but kegging gives you a bit of an edge as they can carb, condition and clarify all at the same time.

I'd say that 6 weeks is pushing it if you were bottling, but kegging gives you a bit of an edge as they can carb, condition and clarify all at the same time.

I have plenty of liquid yeast starter(Wyeast 1056) ready for each of these and my basement stays at 67 F year round. Would it be better lower the temperature slightly for this time period of 3 weeks in the primary? I know that some pale ales can be turned over in six weeks but I am not sure about stouts.

I have plenty of liquid yeast starter(Wyeast 1056) ready for each of these and my basement stays at 67 F year round. Would it be better lower the temperature slightly for this time period of 3 weeks in the primary? I know that some pale ales can be turned over in six weeks but I am not sure about stouts.

For the IPA and APA, pitch enough yeast and try to do your best to keep it at under 68 degrees if at all possible. That's going to be very hard to do in a 67F ambient temperature, but you could try using a water bath in a bin or cooler along with a frozen water bottle if need to, as to not let the fermentation get too warm. With 1056, I think 68 is about the warmest I'd go as it makes a great IPA and APA at cooler temperatures.

Two weeks in the primary is plenty. I never go longer than that for most of my ales, but certainly it's not needed for a well made IPA or APA.

For the stout, that one may take a bit longer. I'd still keep it under 68 degrees, and keep it in the fermenter for two weeks but then keg and keep it at room temperature for at least a week for the flavors to mellow and meld. I'd go with a less roasty stout recipe, and with an OG of no higher than about 1.055. That way, the flavors don't take too long to come into their own.

the pale ale and ipa can definitely be done in 6 weeks, especially since you're kegging. you can carb in a keg in a day or so, if you need to. I always got a lot of foam when I tried that though, and had better luck doing it lower pressure for longer time, but in a pinch it would work. the stouit is the only one I'd be concerned about not being ready, as they tend to like time to mellow. you could always replace that with a different beer, unless you and everyone else is set on having a stout. I'd keep the gravity low, and hope for the best on that one.

After reading your comments I am going to just brew the two pale ales. I have some bottled oatmeal stout that I can serve to anyone wanting it. Since the party is the first week of May I am not sure how many people will want a darker beer at the start of this warmer weather.

Yooper: I did make your Fizzy Yellow Beer recently using White Labs American Ale yeast (WL060). After 4 weeks in the primary I cold crashed this for a week and then kegged conditioned it for another 8 weeks. It has a very lager like quality and I doubt i will have any left in the next 6 weeks to share at this party.

If you want a third beer that's less hoppy, you could whip up a mild. They're tasty, get done quick and some folks might like a lower alcohol offering at the party.

If you want a third beer that's less hoppy, you could whip up a mild. They're tasty, get done quick and some folks might like a lower alcohol offering at the party.

Ooooh, that's a great idea! They are dark in color, but not hoppy and really nice. You can brew a mild today, keg it in 10 days, and have a great tasting beer in 2 weeks.

Great Idea!!!

I found this mild ale recipe but I don't have any brown malt. Is there a crystal malt, black malt or something I can substitute? Is it possible to toast pale malt to make it into brown malt?

7 lbs Maris Otter
10 oz Crystal 60L
6 oz Crystal 120L
3 oz Brown malt
3 oz Chocolate malt
1 oz East Kent Goldings 60 min
London Ale yeast

Great Idea!!!

I found this mild ale recipe but I don't have any brown malt. Is there a crystal malt, black malt or something I can substitute? Is it possible to toast pale malt to make it into brown malt?

7 lbs Maris Otter
10 oz Crystal 60L
6 oz Crystal 120L
3 oz Brown malt
3 oz Chocolate malt
1 oz East Kent Goldings 60 min
London Ale yeast

There's no sub for brown malt. But that's such a small amount that we can think of something!

How about this? (I have personally made this one!)

7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.1 %
6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.5 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.0 %
2.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.5 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 22.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 4.0 IBUs

There's no sub for brown malt. But that's such a small amount that we can think of something!

How about this? (I have personally made this one!)

7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 84.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 6.1 %
6.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.5 %
4.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.0 %
2.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.5 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 22.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [6.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 4.0 IBUs

Thanks Yooper...I always enjoy your recipes. This will really help fill out the selection of an APA, IPA, Wheat, Blonde Ale (your FYB) and a dark mild ale.

Which yeast do you use with this recipe?

Back