5 or 6 1/2 gallon for fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hagen505

Reaction score
For fermenting which is better? the 5 gallon which will blow off more of the hop resins and exess yeast during the start of fermentation? or the 6 1/2 gallon which will leave more in the carboy? or does it matter? I am just getting back into beer brewing after a long break, but have accumulated a bunch of 6 1/2's from wine making. thanks...

hagen505 said:
For fermenting which is better? the 5 gallon which will blow off more of the hop resins and exess yeast during the start of fermentation? or the 6 1/2 gallon which will leave more in the carboy? or does it matter? I am just getting back into beer brewing after a long break, but have accumulated a bunch of 6 1/2's from wine making. thanks...

I would personally use the 6.5 as my primary because it is good to have the krausen, it protects the beer, versus blowing everything off with a 5 gallon fermenter. I would then use a 5 gallon as my secondary because it leaves less airspace during clearing and would allow you to get rid of the excess resins and trub you speak of.

But thats my preference, try it if you like.

As a rule of thumb you want your fermenter to be at least 25% bigger than the wort size to allow for the krausen. Your 6.5's are ideal for 5 gallon batches.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was beneficial to get rid of the initial krausen or trub. I thought that it may contribute to off flavors or hangover contributing resins. Is it still neccesary to use a blowoff hose when using the 6.5? or will the airlock suffice?

It depends on the brew. The majority of batches I've done did not need a blowoff tube for the 6 1/2. Of course, a few others have *Definately* needed a blowoff.

Jamo99 said:
It depends on the brew. The majority of batches I've done did not need a blowoff tube for the 6 1/2. Of course, a few others have *Definately* needed a blowoff.

My porter about 14hrs after pitching. 5.5gal in a 6.5 gal carboy.

Porter12-07.jpg

I'm trying the plastic wrap and rubber band since I don't have a blowoff hose.

Porter12-07blowoff.jpg

hagen505 said:
Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was beneficial to get rid of the initial krausen or trub. I thought that it may contribute to off flavors or hangover contributing resins. Is it still neccesary to use a blowoff hose when using the 6.5? or will the airlock suffice?

You won't get any off flavors from the krausen unless you leave the beer in primary for 2 or 3 months. The "hangover contributing resins" you are talking about are the fusel alcohols that result from fermenting at too high a temperature, not from anything in the krausen. The krausen contains a lot of yeast that will help in getting your beer down to your target final gravity, so you don't want to skim it off.

Blow off tubes are needed now and then even with the 6.5 gallon fermenter, especially with 1.065+ beers and many wheat beers.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

There isn't going to be any O2 anyway. The yeast will blow all of the oxygen out of the carboy regardless of 6.5 or 5 gallon. Co2 will form a layer on top of the beer as soon as the yeast begin.

Gedvondur

Back