Infection Question Please Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RmikeVT

Reaction score
My Questions First w/ Background below:
1) Is it possible to have an infection without noticeable visible signs of infection? I am assuming Yes but would like some confirmation.

2) Can an infection take hold and have a flavor impact in a week? What I mean is, can I pinpoint the infection to kegging or is it something that crept in on the front end and took 5 weeks to bloom? Beer tasted great wk 4, kegged by week 5 it was sour.

I used an Octoberfest Grain Bill w/ WLP 036. Fermented in High 50s Lows 60s, until beer attenuated then stored at room temp around 68* in my basement. I left in primary for 4 weeks. Upon racking to the keg the beer tasted great (wk 4). I racked into a keg and added some priming sugar to give it a little jump start carbonating while it waited its turn to go into the kegerator. I got a little curious after about a week and popped open the lid and tasted the beer (wk5), It was rather sour at this point. I am guessing I have some sort of infection maybe lacto.

This is my first infection ever, it sucks. It almost tastes oxidized but without the sweet sherry flavor but more sour. Plus I think I can rule out oxidation as I have a pretty good process for kegging and purging o2 in addition I naturally carb so the yeast probably would have metabolized the o2 when I introduced the sugar.

RmikeVT said:
My Questions First w/ Background below:
1) Is it possible to have an infection without noticeable visible signs of infection? I am assuming Yes but would like some confirmation.

2) Can an infection take hold and have a flavor impact in a week? What I mean is, can I pinpoint the infection to kegging or is it something that crept in on the front end and took 5 weeks to bloom? Beer tasted great wk 4, kegged by week 5 it was sour.

I used an Octoberfest Grain Bill w/ WLP 036. Fermented in High 50s Lows 60s, until beer attenuated then stored at room temp around 68* in my basement. I left in primary for 4 weeks. Upon racking to the keg the beer tasted great (wk 4). I racked into a keg and added some priming sugar to give it a little jump start carbonating while it waited its turn to go into the kegerator. I got a little curious after about a week and popped open the lid and tasted the beer (wk5), It was rather sour at this point. I am guessing I have some sort of infection maybe lacto.

This is my first infection ever, it sucks. It almost tastes oxidized but without the sweet sherry flavor but more sour. Plus I think I can rule out oxidation as I have a pretty good process for kegging and purging o2 in addition I naturally carb so the yeast probably would have metabolized the o2 when I introduced the sugar.

Sounds like an infection and from your description it came from the keg, time break that thing down completely and do a thorough cleaning and sanitizing, rings, seals, poppits the whole deal:(

The really shi**y part about it is I actually broke down the keg and completely sanitized/cleaned the whole thing before I put the brew in. If I had to make a bet on what caused the problem I would say the racking cane/tubing that I used to transfer the beer from fermenter to keg.

I am going to LHBS today and picking up all new o-rings seals etc for the keg.

Not to be obvious, but did you boil or sanitize the priming sugar in any way? Something may have gotten in when you transferred to the keg, and since it was at room temp and not cold, then the infection was able to take hold.

So it's only been naturally carbonating in the keg for a week? And you opened the lid to try it?

I knew someone was going to ask about that. I thought the keg had a leak. I built a sounding valve and it was my first time using and after a week the pressure hadn't really gone up. So I just popped the lid off to reset the seal. I figured I would just reapply the same pressure that was in the headspace and I wouldn't lose too much CO2.

Plus with sounding valve I add a little extra sugar and set the pressure release.

Not to be obvious, but did you boil or sanitize the priming sugar in any way? Something may have gotten in when you transferred to the keg, and since it was at room temp and not cold, then the infection was able to take hold.

Yup boiled 1 cup of water with corn sugar for 10 minutes. I think it was my racking equipment. As I sanatized but didn't give the normal soak in oxiclean before using.

Its just like if you cracked open a bottle after a week of carbing wont be that good. How much priming sugar did you use for the keg? What temp are you storing it at? Possible you are getting some bite from the co2

Its just like if you cracked open a bottle after a week of carbing wont be that good. How much priming sugar did you use for the keg? What temp are you storing it at? Possible you are getting some bite from the co2

In my experience my half carbed bottles still taste good. Just don't have carbonation. This beer is sour. It was malty going in now its malty and sour.

I never naturally carbed a lager but I was just thinking of the yeast taste being at room temp. I guess sour is different and might be infected. I would personally let it carb fully, chill it and try it then just to be certain.

Just a follow up for anyone that cares, this was definitely an infection. I left the brew in the keg to ride for another week and checked on it last night, removing the lid and there was a nasty pellicle(sp) on top and a bunch of white chunks (not yeast) floating around in the brew when I dumped it -- it smelled awful. Pretty sad to see all the beer running down the ally into the gutter.

Uncarbed or half carbed beer isn't sour and shouldn't have any character that can be confused for sour.

An infection often takes some time to take hold, so when you taste it younger, you don't notice it, as it ages it becomes stronger. So, the infection didn't necessarily happen when you racked to the keg, but plastic tubing is always suspect. I'd replace any of the plastic tubing, auto siphon etc that touched that beer. For the next batch pay special attention not to use anything other than new tubing and such. Pay close attention to your process and try to nail down what happened. Take good notes on that next batch and if you get another infection, you'll need to closely analyze what's going on.

Also, if you're fermenting in plastic, consider switching to a carboy.

Back