sulphur/farty smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abraham

Reaction score
i just racked my apple vanilla cider into secondary and it had a mild sulphur/farty smell??? it taste fine actually really good.Is this normal?will it go away???:confused:

Totally normal. You're smelling H2S, a common by-product of cider fermentation. It will dissipate over time but can be mitigated by adding sulfites, nutrients, decreasing the temperature and many other ways. For more information search for 'rhino farts' which is the commonly used term on this site for the phenomenon.

i just racked my apple vanilla cider into secondary and it had a mild sulphur/farty smell??? it taste fine actually really good.Is this normal?will it go away???:confused:

Yes. Next time, you may want to add some yeast nutrient to the primary at the beginning. My bottle says "1 teaspoon per gallon", but yours may say something different. As always, follow the directions on the bottle that you get.

Back