Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would look for a 1930's gillette NEW or NEW improved on Ebay. They are fairly mild and not as expensive as a merkur or muehle. Pretty much any of the earlier Gillette open comb razors are not bad. Get it, scrub it with a toothbrush and soft scrub, dunk it in boiling water and dip in rubbing alcohol depending on how much of a germ freak you are. Don't let the open comb scare you. I like the open comb cause it actually lets the lather stay on your skin right up to the blade instead of the closed comb that moves the lather out of the way before it gets to the blade.

When I got into wet shaving I went full tilt and got a couple straights and made a strop too. The thing about straights is you *have* to practice all the time or you will get nicked a whole bunch, and if your stropping form is bad you roll the edge and have a terrible shave till you fix it. So, add that with not practicing and the fun meter gets pegged real quick. I have sold my straights some time ago. I tried to practice at least three times a week but it just was not for me. Shame too. I love the look of the Dovo Bismarck with gold trim and the older cleaver 8/8 wolsty's. Oh, and Butch Harner's custom one off straights are absolute perfection!!!

I have found I still knicked myself with the shavette, but I switched back to the DE for a day and it seemed like I now shave quicker and end with a smoother finish after I used the shavette. Mind****, or maybe practicing with the shavette helped with the DE?

More brushes! This guy is redwood burl. It's big and beefy: a nice manly brush for a manly endeavor.

redwoodbrush1.jpg

redwoodbrush2.jpg

redwoodbrush3.jpg

-Joe

I too made the switch over a year ago. Best move EVER!
I use a double edge Murker with Astria blades and Omega shave soap.
I must say that it took some doing to get there. Quite a learning curve from Barbisol and a blue disposable.
But I finally got a blade assortment from Amazon, that helped a LOT! The best blades out there may not work for you.
I also tried about 9 different creams and soaps before I found the one I use. Hard water makes one hell of a difference on how they work.
I believe there is a combination for everyone. I did learn that I'm better off to shave BEFORE I shower. I know that this goes against common wisdom, but a shower makes my skin so soft that the razor tears it UP!
I even use the wet shave method to shave my head about every other day.
I only use a strait razor about once a month, but damn... it does a fine job... once I learned to use it!

BigKahuna said:
Does the oil muck up the brush? That's the problem that I have with using Shea Butter as a pre-shave lube.

Pappers_ said:
I haven't noticed any problem. I put the oil on my face with my fingers, then use the brush to apply the shaving soap to my face.

My skin is so greasy that I don't really feel need for a preshave oil. I have used it before though on my face and head. You should massage it in. That and the soap on the brush, plus a proper rinse should keep your brush clean.

My skin is so greasy that I don't really feel need for a preshave oil. I have used it before though on my face and head. You should massage it in. That and the soap on the brush, plus a proper rinse should keep your brush clean.

A few drops of oil in the bowl makes for an incredibly mousse like lather.

I'm a little more than a week into my DE routine and it's going quite well. Still working on technique, but it's coming along.

It only gets better!

I got stuck for a few days with out my DE stuff and the mach3 I was able to to borrow was awful and it made my next DE shave that much more enjoyable!

I guess I will dig my Merkur solid bar out while I send my NEW's out to get replated. Meh. Merkur makes okay razors, But being a NEW fanboy makes it difficult to be away from my well worn OC's for long. Debating on rocking the nickel or rhodium, I need to decide since I am gonna turn my own handles out of stainless.

Hey... Anybody got a black and butterscotch rubberset for a resto project they want to part with for a price?

Gixxer said:
I guess I will dig my Merkur solid bar out while I send my NEW's out to get replated. Meh. Merkur makes okay razors, But being a NEW fanboy makes it difficult to be away from my well worn OC's for long. Debating on rocking the nickel or rhodium, I need to decide since I am gonna turn my own handles out of stainless.

Hey... Anybody got a black and butterscotch rubberset for a resto project they want to part with for a price?

No on the rubberset, but let me know how the handles turn out. I would love a stout handle for my NEW and my tech

IrregularPulse said:
Finally got around to ordering the whipped dog combo. Waiting for payment details now. Off to go watch some videos now so I don't skin myself.

Once you get the concept locked down you are going to love the shave you get! Pay attention to the stropping process so you don't mess up your edge.

I'm thinking I am going to purchase a Merkur 34C soon. Is this a good choice for a beginner? I do have concerns that I won't care for wet shaving and may want to get rid of it so I'm certainly open to suggestions if a cheaper option is available. I'm not 100% certain of everything that I will need as well. Any suggestions on affordable options for a beginner? :)

xMalachi said:
I'm thinking I am going to purchase a Merkur 34C soon. Is this a good choice for a beginner? I do have concerns that I won't care for wet shaving and may want to get rid of it so I'm certainly open to suggestions if a cheaper option is available. I'm not 100% certain of everything that I will need as well. Any suggestions on affordable options for a beginner? :)

I like my 34C. It was my first DE. I also picked up an older Gillette on eBay. If you want an overwhelming amount of info check out badgerandblade.

I like my 34C. It was my first DE. I also picked up an older Gillette on eBay. If you want an overwhelming amount of info check out badgerandblade.

Haha, that's my current problem actually. I go over there start reading and then my head explodes and I don't know what to get. Sounds like the 34C is good all around though.

Pretty much any of the Merkurs except for the slant, vision, and progress are fine for a beginner. The slants are too aggressive for somebody without experience, and the adjustables are too expensive for somebody not wanting to drop a bunch of yak getting started. After somebody decides they are hooked and wants to experiment with the adjustability then sure. Oh, and my pick for a starter would be the Merkur 1904 *open* comb. Do not fear the open comb, trust me. I get a decent shave with the closed bar but I think the open comb lets more lather right up to the blade edge. They are not necessarily more aggressive.

Gixxer said:
Pretty much any of the Merkurs except for the slant, vision, and progress are fine for a beginner. The slants are too aggressive for somebody without experience, and the adjustables are too expensive for somebody not wanting to drop a bunch of yak getting started. After somebody decides they are hooked and wants to experiment with the adjustability then sure. Oh, and my pick for a starter would be the Merkur 1904 *open* comb. Do not fear the open comb, trust me. I get a decent shave with the closed bar but I think the open comb lets more lather right up to the blade edge. They are not necessarily more aggressive.

I love all my open combs, I have a gillette old style, a gillette NEW long comb, and a gillette ABC razor, all open comb and all superb shavers.

OK... I have a Parker Shavette.... What say you?
I have a hell of a time with it! Would I be better off with a "real" strait blade? I don't really want to shell out a few hundred $$$ if it's something I just am not able to do.
I do great with a DE... And LOVE it! I even shave the 'ol Mellon with it. But I yearn for the smoothness of the hand sharpened blade!

BigKahuna said:
OK... I have a Parker Shavette.... What say you?
I have a hell of a time with it! Would I be better off with a "real" strait blade? I don't really want to shell out a few hundred $$$ if it's something I just am not able to do.
I do great with a DE... And LOVE it! I even shave the 'ol Mellon with it. But I yearn for the smoothness of the hand sharpened blade!

I got a whippeddog.com sight unseen deal, not the sexiest straight out there, but properly honed and comes with the goodies to keep it sharp, and you cannot beat the price!!! Once you get the feel for a sharp straight, then look into the big Cheddar for a fancy one.

I got a whippeddog.com sight unseen deal, not the sexiest straight out there, but properly honed and comes with the goodies to keep it sharp, and you cannot beat the price!!! Once you get the feel for a sharp straight, then look into the big Cheddar for a fancy one.

That is the route I'm pretty sure I"ll be going. Heard so many good reviews of Larry's work.

Lots of folks have said that shavettes can be difficult to use. I personally had not tried one cause of that. Between b&b and Straight Razor Place Well whipped dog too you can find a user grade straight for 20 to 30

I've been using my Parker Shavette and I've gotten it down pretty well so far. I think what scares me more than using a real straight on my face is not stropping / honing it properly, and THEN using it on my face.

For those straight razor users out there; how hard / easy / time-consuming would you say stropping and honing is? Would you say it's the more difficult task vice the actual shaving?

Penguinetti said:
I've been using my Parker Shavette and I've gotten it down pretty well so far. I think what scares me more than using a real straight on my face is not stropping / honing it properly, and THEN using it on my face.

For those straight razor users out there; how hard / easy / time-consuming would you say stropping and honing is? Would you say it's the more difficult task vice the actual shaving?

I spend about 3-5 minutes post shave stropping the straight so it is ready to go the next time. I have given one of my straights a light hone, maybe 10-15 minutes, then another 5 on the strop. This is not the usual though, mostly a quick go on the strop is all that's needed to keep em shave ready.

i use a shavette every once in a while.. i like being able to slowly learn how to correctly use a straight before i actually make the investment in purchasing a good one.. until then my DE is fine with me

I've gotten shaves at the barber with a shavette (or something like it)...as an assurance to you, the feeling of a high quality razor is worth every penny.

i use a shavette every once in a while.. i like being able to slowly learn how to correctly use a straight before i actually make the investment in purchasing a good one.. until then my DE is fine with me

Shooter said:
My first shave was actually with a Dovo Shavette. Once my Merkur arrived I started concentrating on it. I'll probably give the Shavette another try at some point.

You need blades? I have shark blades I accidentally bought on Amazon thinking they were standard blades for a DE.

Back