Bottle Bombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmcabee

Reaction score
If I fermented in primary for 10 days and then bottled, will I have problems with my bottles blowing up?

Got a hydrometer?

No?

Get one. It's the only way to tell, sorry. 10 days is USUALLY done (not done conditioning, but the sugars have been converted), but not always; fermentations can get stuck, or just proceed slowly.

In any case, get a hydrometer and take a reading.

With some brews you will have bombs after 4 weeks... do the hydrometer thing, also look at your OG and your predicted FG based on your yeast attenuation... that will get you in the know.

Brewpilot

If yrlucky you hit it on the money and will have perfect carboantion
If yr real lucky you wrote it all down
seriously, too much yst is still in the beer - shortens the drinking window

Some precautions to take just in case:

cover the bottles in all directions to minimize the area of effect/contain the blast. boxes work well.

Place towels underneath the bottles to soak up the beer.

place trash bags under the towels to keep the floor from getting wet.

How do i know this? Experience, my friend. Luckily, it's the one mistake i won't make again.

And if they start blowing, refrigerate and start drinking!

You could also, uncap and recap, but I thought I'd give you an excuse to drink.

God Emporer BillyBrew said:
And if they start blowing, refrigerate and start drinking!

You could also, uncap and recap, but I thought I'd give you an excuse to drink.

I know for a fact that both of these methods work just fine. ;) ;)

A spare bathtub works well too.

I totally support the hydrometer suggestion, especially if you're a newbie (like me.) Perhaps more experienced brewers can tell "by looking", but I sure can't, and different brews take different amounts of time to ferment. My first batch was finished in a little over a week (two hydrometer readings of the same numbers taken a couple days apart.) My second batch took a bit longer, but I racked it to secondary. My third batch, a hefeweizen, has been bubbling away for almost two weeks; it's not close to being "done". I would shudder to think about bottling that baby after 10 days!

For one-stage brews I usually go two full weeks before bottling but you will probably be OK in ten days. "Probably" is not a guarantee though.

MariaAZ said:
I totally support the hydrometer suggestion, especially if you're a newbie (like me.) Perhaps more experienced brewers can tell "by looking", but I sure can't, and different brews take different amounts of time to ferment. My first batch was finished in a little over a week (two hydrometer readings of the same numbers taken a couple days apart.) My second batch took a bit longer, but I racked it to secondary. My third batch, a hefeweizen, has been bubbling away for almost two weeks; it's not close to being "done". I would shudder to think about bottling that baby after 10 days!

Thing is, all ferments are different. Temperature, amount of yeast, etc. can affect how long it takes. Sure, different styles take longer than others, but the only way to be sure is the hydrometer. There are guys who never use one and don't have problems.

I once bottled one after a week in the primary and a couple of weeks in the secondary and still had bottle bombs. I hadn't used a hydrometer, so didn't realize my ferment had stalled. I use it now!

Back