1.200 20%+ 120 Minute IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good god, I'd be afraid of that beer. Put a padlock on whatever closet you're keeping it in so it doesn't escape.

Awesome brew, really inspiring. I can't imagine how long it will take to drink 5 gallons of that stuff though. :drunk:

I've enjoyed reading this experiment. You should writeup a recipe post with a one page summary of your techniques, status updates etc

You really just need to put a little pressure on the keg, pull off a shot glass full and take a picture so that we can see what the hell this devil looks like. Then I can completely plagurize your process and get one of my own :)

My third coffee is kicking in and it is barely 10 o'clock

Fabulous idea. I agree to the drinking it out of a shot glass. Maybe in 2 oz servings in a snifter like Utopias.

Congrats on the biggest brew I've seen so far!

I may get some people jeoulous but I did taste the 120 minute last night. It was amazing..Sirsloop also dry hopped the growler which I thought was a nice touch..For such a huge beer it was very well balanced. Even with all that malt it had a great hop presence. The body of the beer was definitely thick and kind of poured out like maple syrup. Its only 6 months old and I can definitely see this one improving with age. Great job Sirsloop!

Roughly $70 for 5 gallons... probably closer to $85 after you consider all the gas, O2, sanitizer, etc...

Its actually only 3 months old!! It seems like longer, but dang its pretty good for 22+% and being that young! I had a FULL 5 gallon cornie... kinda needed to make room for dry hopping so I busted it out early. I'm going to toss it in the closet and forget about it for a while. Its got a real unique smell to it... kinda sorta a buttery smell (dms?) but its not. Its hard to put your finger on it. Just smells intense. Its surprisingly smooth, although you know its got some mega kick to it. The up front flavor is pretty sweet and different than what you would expect... almost shocking. You smell and taste the hops, and its got a pleasant hop finish to it. The recipe calls for dry hops so I just stuffed some amarillo in a bag and stuffed it in the growler. Would I make it again? Hell yeah, although I will probably find some other neat project to challenge myself with first. Reminds me... I owe Brad 3 beers for some hops he gave me...

Damn it man! Take a picture! I want to see this beast in a glass so that I know what the monster looks like.

542672270_b9wQN-X2.jpg

Dang this stuff is good! Its taken me like 45minutes to polish off a 2oz pour... I think a 5 gallon keg will last me a while!!!!

FWIW, I can see the pic. It is making me jealous and impressed in equal measure. :D

Really nice glass, too - I should get me one of those.

I can't see it either. If I quote the message, I can see the url, but when I copy and paste it in the a browser, the page is blank.

^ +1

Just had a dogfish 120 this weekend that had been aged one year and it was smooooth.... :mug:

The one I had was 2 years old and I was not a fan of it. It was very sweet, and honestly, there wasn't really any hop bitterness or aroma. Just lots of sweetness.

Mine is actually quite bitter, but has a sweet side to it as well. You can definitely taste A LOT of hops in it. Most people have never had this much flavor in their mouth from a beer... so it usually gets the "WOW" response first. After you have had a few (2oz pours) you can enjoy its complexity a lot more.

Mine is actually quite bitter, but has a sweet side to it as well. You can definitely taste A LOT of hops in it. Most people have never had this much flavor in their mouth from a beer... so it usually gets the "WOW" response first. After you have had a few (2oz pours) you can enjoy its complexity a lot more.

... if you can pick yourself up off the floor! :tank:

I'm a novice and I've really enjoyed reading about how sir sloop intends to work around the difficulties in achieving such a high abv. I have been brewing with one of my chemical engineering classmates and we are considering attempting this for our graduation next may. Should have plenty of time to condition it before then. We may not make it work but certainly won't be convinced not to try. Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation that even a newer brewer can understand.

SirSloop, I was directed to this forum because I am currently in the middle of my fermentation for my DFH 120 clone. My recipe is very similar to yours however my yeast is a little different and of course the minor stuff is a little different. I would love to swap a bottle with you eventually (once mine is aged) and see how we both did.

Currently I am just now pitching my second yeast starter (WLP099) at 1.7 L for the starter. I have been adding dextrose for three days now and it is just an amazing beast of a brew. I love how every time dextrose is added those little yeasties just go crazy!

Beast III for me may be started this weekend. I cheat though and use DME. Still takes months to ferment and a long time for the flavours to meld together...

Beast III for me may be started this weekend. I cheat though and use DME. Still takes months to ferment and a long time for the flavours to meld together...

I used DME once on a different brew, not quite the same beast as this one (only added 3 lbs). I really didnt like the flavors it gave to my brew. It just seemed like using dextrose is both cheaper and doesnt have any flavor to add to the brew.

DME is gonna be an issue with large brews because you cannot control the fermentability of the wort. What they made is what you get. When mashing for high gravity you usually go real low on the temps because the lower amounts of residual sugar add up to the right amount in the end. If you use all DME thats less fermentable, you could end up with a sweet brew.

I'm game for some bottle swaps! I think it'll be good fun!

I'm also starting the planning of a mega beer, and from what I've read, I think I'll be looking to use sugars for the extra fermentables, and may be doing first runnings only. Maybe save the second runnings for a partigyle.

This is so very different from anything I've brewed, I'll have to be careful to get many things right.

Sirsloop - why was your nutrient addition schedule? I have a big beer fermenting right now (OG 1.142 before any sugar) that I've been adding 1L of wort to, O2'd for 2min each day (I started with about 1.5gal). After the final wort addition, I was going to start adding sugar to hopefully get the theoretical OG around 1.180-1.200, whenever the yeast dies. I didn't know if you were adding nutrients throughout, or only at certain points. I have generic yeast nutrient and FermentK, I only added the former during the boil.

Brewin_CRAZY and I are going to be doing a bottle swap with our two 120min IPA's this week. I plan on taking his three bottles and doing a blind taste test at my next homebrew club meeting on the 15th. We'll be comparing my 120, his 120, and the real deal 120, blind**. We'll have written judging of the beers and see what happens! I should able to scan the sheets in and create a large pdf available for download. My club has had a taste of the my 120 with great reviews. It'll be really interesting to see how the brews compare to each other in color, aroma, taste, balance, and drink-ability. Brewin_CRAZY also mentioned that he will be doing a taste test with our three beers with some of his friends back in Oregon. So.... hold on for a couple weeks, RDWHAHB... we'll have some real world results back on how well our homebrew stacks up against commercial!

Back