Adding "sweetness" to a beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkyaber

Reaction score
I have a chocolate stout that I just added cocoa to and I think it is to bitter (from the cocoa) what is a way to add some sweetness to this beer without it fermenting into more alcohol? lactose? Maltodexrin? I found those in Palmer's book. Oh, I am out of the primary and have been in the secondary for 36 hours.
How am I to procceed?
Thanks

I fear my milk chocolate stout has the same problem, but I already have added lactose. Maybe another pound in the secondary?

Excellent, now where do I get it from? HBS?
How 'bout something like splenda??? It is not sugar right????
Now my train may be back on track.

I have a chocolate stout that I just added cocoa to and I think it is to bitter (from the cocoa) what is a way to add some sweetness to this beer without it fermenting into more alcohol? lactose? Maltodexrin? I found those in Palmer's book. Oh, I am out of the primary and have been in the secondary for 36 hours.
How am I to procceed?
Thanks
The first stout that I made which I was happy with the flavour I used 500grams of Chocolate Malt and 500 grams of Black Malt or Roasted Barley and 1 Kilogram of Crystal malt, then about 3.5 kilograms of Base Malt (e.g. Pilsener Malt or Maris Otter - it doesn't really matter. What you get is a beer with a high OG but also a high FG (around 1.020) due to all the extra crystal and dark malts. So it has great body and nicely balance sweetness to counteract the dark malt bitterness.

Latest posts

Back