Priming????????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctbrewer227

Reaction score
When it is time to prime and bottle i bought a bottling bucket once the priming sugar is in the bottom of it and I siphon from secondary to this is it necessary to mix it around with a spoon or such to make sure it is fully mixed or will the siphoning action mix it well enough?

I don't use priming sugar anymore, but when I did, I liked to boil 3/4 cup of corn sugar with about a cup of dry malt extract in 2 cups of water. I would let this cool and then pour it in the priming bucket. I would then transfer my beer from the secondary fermenter into the priming bucket. The transfer should mix the solution very evenly and you are ready to bottle...

Process we use is simple --- assuming you've racked into a secondary --- put carboy up on counter and get the priming mix boiling. Sanitize everything --- start siphon to the clean bucket --- at about 1/4 full dump in the priming sugar and keep the siphon going. Everything will be mixed when the transfer is complete

+1 to the advice above. Get a siphon flowing and some beer in the bucket BEFORE you add the priming sugar solution. It is heavy and thick and will stick to the bottom of your bucket if you aren't careful.

It is REALLY important that the priming sugar gets evenly mixed into the beer, otherwise you will have inconsistent carbonation (and possibly even over-carbed bottle-bombs). If you don't trust the whirlpool action of siphoning beer, it won't hurt to gently mix everything in the bottling bucket with a sanitized spoon.

I pour half the priming solution into the bottom of the bucket while the siphon is flowing, and let the natural swirling of the liquid mix with the solution, then when I reach the 2.5 gallon marking I pour in the remaining solution.

If you do feel the need to mix it, be gentle so as to not introfuce any excess oxygen into it...

You may find some of the info on here useful...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/revvys-tips-bottler-first-time-otherwise-94812/

Back