Speciality Malts - Which Require Mashing??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JungMin

Reaction score
My go-to HBS in Seoul, Korea (of maybe 5? in the whole country) has a few different malts available. Here is the webpage: Grain Malts.

I have 'The Complete Joy of Homebrewing', and it says that Crystal Malt has already been mashed. But Dextrine (Cara-pils) Mild, Vienna, and Munich malts all need to be mashed. I tried googling, but I can't seem to figure out which of the other malts need to be mashed, and which I can use to create a preliminary extract in my extract brewing (steeping the grains for 20~30 minutes @ 165 degrees prior to adding the DME, hops).

The HBS supplies Weyermann malts. Wheat, Carapils, Carahell, Caramunich2, Pilsner, Carafa2, Vienna, Smoked and Munich (seen here).

So, am I right by saying that everything 'Cara~' has already undergone a mashing process and is good to use? Or are all good to use?? I know that 'Crystal Malts' have already undergone a mashing process, but which of these are 'Crystal Malts'?? I thought I could just use any so in my last brew (in the fermenter now) I used some Vienna and Munich malts, but I just came across that chapter in 'The Joy of Homebrewing' which said I needed to mash them.

This has me really confused!!! :confused:
Thanks.

OK, thanks for that guys.

So apparently I used some grains that needed to be mashed!!! :) I used 225g each of Vienna and Munich. What is the downside to this?? Has this ruined the beer? The beer fermented and has reached the F.G. that was expected. It's still sitting in the fermenter and was going to move it over to secondary soon. Everything went as it always has.....but i haven't tasted it.

Thanks again.

Back