Are you the one who cooks in the house?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snooby

Reaction score
Hello my fellow brewers!

Just curious to see if you are the one who does the cooking around the house. I figure most home brewers are since homebrewing is a lot like cooking. Both follow a recipe and you are mostly likely comfortable in the kitchen.

I myself do all the cooking. The kitchen (my brewery) is known as my man cave. :mug:

Cheers!

We both cook, but I'm the better cook.

After 27 years of training, she is coming along nicely though.

:D

I pretty much do all the cooking. Like you said home brewing is a lot like cooking. I can follow a recipe, I know what ingredients I like to cook with and I know what ingredients will taste good together.

Plus I enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that people enjoy eating what I have prepared.

Typically, no. I will cook, no doubt, but I usually work 10-11 hour days and we have three kids at home. Time restrictions dictate that she does most of the cooking.

When my wife goes in my kitchen, all my tools end up in the wrong place. She hasn't cooked more than a handful of meals in our ten years of marriage.

Yeah, I do most of the cooking and I like it that way. I'm really lucky that my wife does not want to own the kitchen, although she's always interested in the next concoction, whether it's brewing, dinner or soup.

My wife cooks mostly with the phone.

I pretty much do all the cooking. Like you said home brewing is a lot like cooking. I can follow a recipe, I know what ingredients I like to cook with and I know what ingredients will taste good together.

Plus I enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that people enjoy eating what I have prepared.

This right here. She cooks sometimes, and makes great food, but the kitchen is usually my domain.

We split about 50/50 but I think we both prefer it when I cook. I cooked professionally for 15 years before my current job so I just naturally know more recipes/techniques. I love my girl and she makes some good dishes, but she destroys the kitchen and in our house it one person cooks the other one cleans. We should really revisit that procedure...

We share the responsibility of cooking. There's some things I cook better than her and visa versa.

I rarely cook.

Oh, I can, but I just don't enjoy it very much.

I will occasionally get in the mood to cook, and I tend to do the elaborate "fancy" dinner type things rather than the day-to-day cooking for meals. I cook maybe 4 times per month or so, on average I'd guess.

I don't eat all that much, although I do enjoy great food.

I guess I am in the minority. My wife does most of the cooking and I help out where I can. I am fortunate to have a wife who LOVES to cook and is very good at it!

My wife is definitely the cook in the house. She enjoys it and she's good enough at it that I haven't had to learn...

I am starting to get into proper smoking/grilling, though, and I hope to one day be a master of the outdoor cooking ;)

I'm definitely the single cook in the house. My fiance has never cared to cook, but it's ok because I enjoy it, and do a pretty good job I think.

My fiancé is vegetarian (mostly) so it's definitely been an interesting adventure cooking different vegetarian recipes or adapting recipes to be meatless. I've come up with some good concoctions!

Edit: Oh! My fiance enjoys baking so she makes breads and different things like that :)

I do the household cooking for me and my daughter.

I did all the cooking when I was married as well, if it didn't come out of a package the ex couldn't cook it.

I got demoted to secondary cook. After all, she is a professional chef and does it a lot better.

I'm still in charge of BBQ, chili, spent grain dog treats, beer, and cider though.

We're pretty much 60/40 and moving closer to 50/50 all of the time. Early on, it was more like 90/10 because she trusted me to take care of the wild things we eat better but she has been gaining confidence in preparing more and more of our meals.

Tonight, breaded some chicken and fried it, then sliced, then topped with a pile of rigatoni and some alfredo sauce. Side of wedge salad. Buttered toast. Me and my youngest boy are the only ones home, waiting for the Rays game to start.

BTW, I used to dip chicken in milk then flour it. A german guy told me to flour FIRST, then dip in milk, then bread crumbs. Makes all the difference.

My wife does most of the cooking. I love to cook but she is better than I at it. I make the beverages and she makes the food. I do get to grill and make chili and soups.

Living alone also, I love to eat and am too cheap to go out, so I had to learn how to cook what I like.

Baking is the biggest challenge for me, there's some kind of black magic involved there.

I've always done all the outside grilling...to which we have now added smoking and deep-frying. My wife used to do 100% of the indoor cooking, but in retirement, I find that I truly enjoy cooking, so her percentage has dropped while mine his risen. Now, it's probably about 70/30.

glenn514:mug:

Sweet! Just curious, surprised how many comments this got.

I've been currently on a slow cooker craze. I love how you and prep the bowl the night before and you come home to a hot home made meal.

Love to blacken a brisket in a cast iron skillet after cooking a few strips of bacon. put it in a slow cooker, like a roast with some celery, onions, carrots and potatoes. Dump in about 4 or 5oz of very coarse slightly spicy mustard (Wife doesn't like too spicy) and then go to work and let that cook all day.

The house smells absolutely wonderful when we get home that evening and the meat is so fork tender. We sometimes toss in some sliced wild mushrooms the last few minutes before serving to warm them up in the juice.

We both enjoy cooking and often do it together but I'll admit she probably does more often since we had our son. Sounds wonky but I take him and pick him up so she's home first.

She is twice as fast too but I think I'm a little better though ;)

EX SWMBO and I both are awesome cooks.......possibly why we clashed.

Current GF is in awe of my cooking and I cook EVERYTHING. She cleans up and sucks a mean......um......ya know. ;)

I do the bulk of the major type cooking... bigJohn is our grill master ( don't tell him that I can run the grill too). I can do just about anything in the kitchen from baking bread or desserts to sauces, to canning and jelly/jam making. 99% of the time all my food is fresh and never prepackaged.

Tonight, breaded some chicken and fried it, then sliced, then topped with a pile of rigatoni and some alfredo sauce. Side of wedge salad. Buttered toast. Me and my youngest boy are the only ones home, waiting for the Rays game to start.

BTW, I used to dip chicken in milk then flour it. A german guy told me to flour FIRST, then dip in milk, then bread crumbs. Makes all the difference.

Try soaking chicken in buttermilk for 30 minutes. Flour. Wait 20 minutes. Dip in buttermilk/egg. Coat in panko breadcrumbs. Trust me here.

When I was younger I used to do pig roast and in general pit cooking. Then I started to do big pot cooking like crawfish boils; that's how I started brewing. But yes today I am the only cook in the house. It seems like home cooking has become harder for new cooks/people to get into since we lost the great chefs on food channel.

pjj2ba said:
I do almost all of the cooking. More often then not, I do the cleaning afterwards too - regardless of who cooked

This sounds all to familiar

Back