Does Big First Year Plant = Big Harvest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
So im trying not to get too excited, but my first year cascade is probably 21 feet tall now with some crazy 3-4 foot sidearms out each side, tons of leaf nodes, nice and green.

I realize that most first year plants you dont get much harvest, but im assuming thats because they look like my other plants which are still like 6 feet tall and growing, i'll be happy to get a oz or two off those plants combined...

Is it possible that this thing wont give me many hops? Can hops plants get super big and not produce flowers?

The plant in question as of a few days ago, its another foot down the side rope at this point.
2013-06-17%2017.58.21.jpg

Pretty sure you can count on getting a bunch of hops off that plant. Look at those side-arms!! What have you been feeding that thing?! Looks great for a first year plant.

Nothing, which is the crazy thing. It just got put in compost/manure/topsoil mix like my Newport and Columbus...two rhizomes each variety.

For the Cascade i think a total of 5 bines broke the surface so all of them are going up, the biggest one is probably nearly as thick as my pinky.

The Newport is only like 7' the Columbus maybe 5'. I only recently started fertilizing the Newport and Columbus with MG because they were starting to yellow and didnt really grow much for a few weeks.

Pretty sure you can count on getting a bunch of hops off that plant. Look at those side-arms!! What have you been feeding that thing?! Looks great for a first year plant.

The side arms of my hops are winding up the twine as well. Would it be better to train them onto an adjacent twine instead? I already have cones so I'm not too worried... :mug:

So im trying not to get too excited, but my first year cascade is probably 21 feet tall now with some crazy 3-4 foot sidearms out each side, tons of leaf nodes, nice and green.

I realize that most first year plants you dont get much harvest, but im assuming thats because they look like my other plants which are still like 6 feet tall and growing, i'll be happy to get a oz or two off those plants combined...

Is it possible that this thing wont give me many hops? Can hops plants get super big and not produce flowers?

The plant in question as of a few days ago, its another foot down the side rope at this point.
2013-06-17%2017.58.21.jpg

There's a reason why they named the baseball team after HOPS! Sure you can get a decent harvest from first year plants so just enjoy the ride and watch out for next year!

There's a reason why they named the baseball team after HOPS! Sure you can get a decent harvest from first year plants so just enjoy the ride and watch out for next year!

Lol yea, I gotta get out to one of their games.

Next year is going to be crazy i can already see some modifications ill need to make to my trellis , i like having the 4 strings as i can run the sidearms up them so they dont reach out and touch the other varieties. I did it this year but it was an after thought so not all of them were able to be put on it as they were too long.

Back