Apple Cider question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaTiger

Reaction score
I made some apple cider and it is ready to bottle. Only problem is, I dont wanna use my beer bottles. Could I bottle this in gallon jugs and just put it in the fridge? Any thoughts?

Put an ad on Craigslist for empty bottles. I have helped many new brewers this way or buy a case of decent craft beer and use the empties. Before you know it you will have cases upon cases of empties.

You could go buy a back of cheap soda in 20-24oz bottles and dump the soda, clean, and go?

Are you talking about glass or plastic gallon jugs? I'm assuming you're talking about glass.

If it's carbonated, then DO NOT USE your 1 gallon jugs. If you're lucky, it'll just leak CO2 from beneath the cap. If you're not lucky, the jugs may burst.

If it's still and you're certain it's fermented out, then those jugs should be fine.

I would assume you meant the gallon glass jugs that the cider came in. Those are definitely NOT meant to handle pressure. I have several, and they are great as growlers where the CO2 is already dissolved into the beer, but they will not handle the pressure of a room temp carbonation.

Worst case, go grab some 2 liter soda bottles and carbonate in those. They will easily handle the pressure.

Back