wow drunk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be a number of reasons. What kind of beer do you normally drink and what kind do you brew? If you're used to most big name beers (bud, miller, Coors) then very often the abv is simply low.

Yeah i drink miller lite... is it simply the fact of abv due to filtering

Not from filtering, yeast don't affect you other bad gas if you get a ton of yeast. But yeah the higher abv is probably it. And carbonation gets it into your system faster than flat mixed drinks and hard liquors.

What kind of beers have you been brewing?

Mainly ales in the 5.5 and up ranges did a stout that came in at 5.7 and an ipa that came in at 6.5.

Hops (in the same taxonomic family as marijuana, Cannabaceae) are thought to have alkaloids that are mildly sedative. It's possible that the typically MUCH higher hopping rates of homebrew compared to BMC are at least partially responsible for what you experience, but it's not a huge area of research, so I can't say so definitively.

Edit: more likely is the higher ABV, not due to filtering but from brewing higher gravity and/or more highly attenuated beer.

emjay said:
Hops (in the same taxonomic family as marijuana, Cannabaceae) are thought to have alkaloids that are mildly sedative. It's possible that the typically MUCH higher hopping rates of homebrew compared to BMC are at least partially responsible for what you experience, but it's not a huge area of research, so I can't say so definitively.

I support this. I remember the first really big hoppy beer I had, Hop Stoopid. It hit me like a ton of bricks. Since then, my research has forced me to conclude that hops are definitely psychoactive :drunk:

agree with the above posters. the ABV in miller lite is around 4% flat. if you're drinking 5.5-6.5 percent brews than you're seeing a significant increase in alcohol content.

I just (2 days ago) poured a weizen I brewed that came in at a 8.3 abv, didn't eat yet and got a buzz from it. Granted I do nit drink a lot, but my brews usually come in at about a 7.5, just that slight diff can make you feel it.

Hey thanks guys. I posted this last night when i had drank a few. I figure its the higher abv because i had gotten to the point a 12 pack of miller lite would barely touch me. then i started home brewing and whoa it was like that first beer when you were a kid. Got that upper lip going numb then the room went flying.

Zuljin said:
I prefer RC.

And I think you have to be drunk to complete of few of those quests.

Man, I do not miss my days of that...not like I have much more of a social life now...

YOu guysers are talking Rum and Coke right.? Probalbly not. Never like that anyway. I preferred the reaL DEAL. That was then this is now,im all growed up and stuff

I was just asking why my home brew could kick my butt in 4 beers and it turned into a 70's shag party or something lol. I think have been took out of context when i said something about lips going numb. Cant believe no else has there upperlip go numb when they had one to many! Very odd!!!

Back