Coopers stout can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMarty911

Reaction score
Ready to start batch number 2!! Tomorrow I bottle my red ale (yay) which has been in the primary for 22 days so I'm looking at using a coopers stout can (white). Now here's a Q.
1. Can I use 1 kg dark DME instead of sugar like the cam says? Will it give me more flavor/body?

2. Instead of the yeast that comes with, I'm thinking of using safale s-04.

Good ideas? Yes/no?

Any other tips? I love me my Guinness and other stouts and really want this one to turn out!!
Thanks!

I made an imperial stout using the coopers stout can, 1kg dark dme and 1kg sugar as well. The sugar dried it out a bit much, but I think also the dark dme was very roasty bitter. It was nice, was for a choc-coffee-chilli stout, so with all of those ingredients it was a bit too much on the roasty side. It did look cool though - pitch black. So yeah, go for the DME but I don't know whether the dark stuff is essential or if you could get away with the lighter stuff without losing too much colour :)

I think you want about 1.3 kg of dme to replace the 1kg of sugar (as the dme won't ferment out completely - which is why it is better for taste/mouthfeel/body etc.)

You could use plain amber DME. It'll still be dark,but a bit smoother. Add some lactose for something like a milk stout.

I checked and they "have never heard of it". Great. They say theyve got lots of experience (23 years ) in home brew and wine but when questioned about different hops and yeasts all I get is a blank stare and a "never heard of that".
It's driving me nuts!! I do find it odd that homebrew is so common in the US but not here in Canada. We pay SIGNIFICANTLY more for anything alcohol (and tobacco) related. We (Canadians) should be the homebrew experts! Lol. Anyways, I'm just gonna do the safale s-04 and dark DME with this stout and let you know how it all turns out in a few months!
Thanks for the info/tips so far! Keep em coming!!!!

The dark DME and coopers stout can will work fine. It will just be very roasty that is all - but very roasty is good. When you bottle you can decide if you want to back-sweeten it but I wouldn't bother - I'd just drink it when I was in a roasty mood, or paired with some chocolate ice cream. Mmmm.....

Back