1/4 barrel for keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
my buddy has a 1/4 barrel (7.75gallon, some people call em pony kegs), and will let me have it for the price of the deposit. is this usable as a kettle if i want to have a fitting welded into it. the spot where the fitting would be welded is a little curved so i thought that would be a problem. please advise.

SenorWanderer said:
my buddy has a 1/4 barrel (7.75gallon, some people call em pony kegs), and will let me have it for the price of the deposit. is this usable as a kettle if i want to have a fitting welded into it. the spot where the fitting would be welded is a little curved so i thought that would be a problem. please advise.

<GULP> Uh-oh.

1. It is too small.
2. It does not belong to your buddy, but the brewery. The deposit does not cover what it cost the brewer.

3. The right way is to purchase outright an old decommissioned 1/2 barrel kegs. You can also find them at scrap yards.

It's not worth the trouble and cost of welding. You can get a 30qt pot for the same price. The reason we convert 1/2bbl's is because a 15 gallon pot is way too expensive.

Well said ollllo.

SenorWanderer.

If you were sensible and didn't tell us how you were thinking of acquiring it then you wouldn't get the comments.

Plus it's not just about morality, it's about legality and admitting that you are considering breaking the law on a public forum. I doubt any one on here really cares but they do care about small breweries going out of business.

You are armed with the information.
It's up to you to decide.
Just don't go advertising the fact that it isn't or may not be legal.

If you are concerned:

Ask where it came from.
Ask for proof of ownership (A copy of the receipt they got)
Ask for a receipt of the sale.

FYI you can all of this information from legitimate sellers.

If they can't ore won't supply, then it is probably not a legitimate sale.

Back