Reading/Lancaster/Allentown area grain buy- round 5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I sent NCM the quote Friday around lunchtime and still haven't heard anything from them. I just sent them an e-mail for an update so we'll see what happens. really getting fed up with this company..
Tom

Just got a reply from NCM. They processed the quote but apparently have new software and can't get it to send to me. They are reworking the quote (I guess in the old software) to get it out to me asap. Hopefully will be able to start getting some totals out soon.
Tom

Finally got the quote yesterday late in the day. Had some questions for them so had to e-mail them and amazingly enough they got back to me today. Seems like they now added a charge of $100 for residential deliveries, even though it's not listed in the catalog anywhere that I can see. So, due to all the fees they keep tacking on, our shipping alone is this: $330 for freight on 3 pallets, $100 residential shipping fee, $15 call ahead fee, $66 fuel surcharge, $75 liftgate charge= $586/126 sacks= $4.65/sack shipping. I think I might build a loading dock in the back yard and officially name the brewery, that would eliminate $175 in shipping fees alone! If everyone is cool with the shipping price, I will start to get totals out tomorrow. To me it is getting rediculous with the fees, but I'm only 3 sacks out of 126 and there isn't much to do about it anyway. Seems like they might be finding a way to eliminate homebrew orders one way or another..
Tom

I got a ton of spare lumber and nails. I could have that loading dock set up in a few hours:) we do have a loading dock at work and I can get in on the weekend, but I work in chesterbrook.

I am fine with the cost, sucks, but it is what it is.

Spanish beers?? Never had one that I know of. They have anything that stands out? I agree, it is still inexpensive and a good deal and all that. I'm just used to the past buys paying $3.40ish for shipping. I think NCM just really got under my skin this time around. Was hoping to have totals out and payments to me with plenty of time to place the order. Looks like I'll be rushing around like an idiot again this time.
tom

That is a ****** bag thing. I wish I had a business with a loading dock that we could use. I don't mind the cost, but I mind how it's being applied.

I'm ready to send out a check ASAP...

I'm still in. I think all the running around that you have to go through is worse than the fees. Tom, thank you for organizing and administrating this group buy

I'm in...the Philly group buy wants you to figure $4.30 a bag for shipping - this is not that much different. I dont think anyone will backlit over it...

It's irritating like fees from ticketmaster are irritating. I still end up buying concert tickets despite the fees and I'll still buy grain just the same.

I'm still in... as others have said, an extra $4-5 bucks is still a great deal compared to what you'd pay elsewhere

I'm still in. I don't get the whole run the homebrewers out deal. We're buying 3 pallets, which I'm sure is comparable to most local brew pubs order size. You would think that a wholesaler would want to turn their inventory over as quick as possible. Not only does the grain stay fresh, but it is more profitable. I just don't understand their thinking. Not to mention that the homebrew community is probably where your next pro brewers are coming from. I know I would remember how they operate and go with a distributor who values my patronage.

Okay, after much number crunching the totals are going out. Please note if you are using PayPal and you are paying with your bank account or PayPal balance, your total is the one that says "total w/o fees". If you are using PayPal and paying with a credit card, your total is "total w/ fees". I constantly have problems with this and on some of the larger totals, I end up having to cover quite a bit from people not including the fees. Also, my PayPal address is: BigDogRulzUply at msn dot com. For anyone sending a check or bringing me cash, your total is obviously the one without fees.
Tom

All the totals should be out. If you did not receive one via PM, let me know. Please check over my math. It should be right, but just make sure. PayPal fees are 2.9% + $0.30. Also, if your bringing cash or check in person, I need it before I place the order. All personal checks have to clear my account before the order is placed. Hoping to have it ordered for this Friday delivery, but it all depends on how the payments go. If your mailing a check, the address is the pickup location and my full name is Tom Reppert. And lastly, when you send your PayPal payment, please me sure to have your HBT screen name on there somewhere. Thanks!
Tom

I think we are lucky to still be able to do this group buy, I was on a group buy page for Denver and they were denied by NCM, It looks like unless you grandfathered in they're shying away from the homebrew market???

Everyone should be marked paid who sent me money. Mike, are you going to cover Koedbrew or do you know whats going on there?
tom

Back