Starter W/Out stir plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickrjason

Reaction score
Want to do a starter for my next batch. Many of you on here recommend a stir plate but I don't own one. I would like to know about using a growler.

If I just periodically shake the growler ( once every hour or so and first thing in the morning). Will this be sufficient?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

That's what I use. Either that or a 1 gal jug.

I just give it a swirl anytime I walk by.

Basic Brewing did a side by side on this and their finding was, while a stir-plate is optimal, it really didn't benefit the starter by that much.

That's what I use. Either that or a 1 gal jug.

I just give it a swirl anytime I walk by.

Basic Brewing did a side by side on this and their finding was, while a stir-plate is optimal, it really didn't benefit the starter by that much.

+1
though Im working on a DIY stirplate... mostly for fun. Shaking it every time you walk by seems to work well enough.

they are tumultuous little buggers, just give 'em the sugar they want, theyll do the rest.

ditto, I use an old apple juice bottle and just swirl it several times a day. Not optimal but it seems to do the job.

Sure, shaking works fine.I did that before I got my stir plate. The stir plate is just so much easier.

If you do want to get a stir plate there is some plans in the DIY section, or a god one is made by stir starters fro about $40.

I will eventually build my own. they don't look difficult i just am planning on using a starter long before i make the stir plate.

You dont need a stir plate. Stir plates just make more yeast from less wort. Mr malty does the calculations for you using different stirring methods whether you leave it sit or shake or stir. If you aren't using a stir plate I would be tempted to plan an additional 24-48hrs in your time line to allow for cold crashing in the fridge so you can decant the wort and only pitch slurry.

Clem

Back