Staghorn on the way!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zamial

Reaction score
That is right, my 1/4bbl of Staghorn is on the way! I will have it on Wen. after work. If you are unfamiliar with this particular brew. It is made by a WI craft brewery called New Glarus. It is my favorite Oktoberfest/ Marzen style beer I have ever found, believe me I have tried LOTS! and this is my favorite NG beer. This is one of the few times during the year I do not envy those people that can get great brews like PTE and such.

I like this one so much that I decided last year that it would be a waste of my time and energy to try to make an Oktoberfest. (Why screw with perfection?)

If you see one of these do not hesitate to try one.

PROST! :mug:

I had a 1/4bbl of this last year and I got to try just about every O'fest that was availible in the state to compare it against, including imports.( I should have made a list...) If you do pick some up, post up your thoughts on it!

YES!

I've been rationing my remaining bottles from last year. I just drank my last one last week. This is by far my favorite beer that New Glarus makes. It's also my favorite October Fest beer.

After work tonight I get to go pick it up!!! Then it is time for some much needed keggerator rearranging! I will tap it on friday after work...hehehe.

Tried some when I visited the brewery. I still like Paulener the best! I wish I could have stayed for their Oktoberfest maybe another time.

Great Beer, I just had some along with the Black Top (BIPA).

Damn it, now I need a drink.

Has anyone had the Milwaukee Brewing Hoptoberfest?

Stopped by the Woodmans on the West side of Madison on the drive home yesterday to pick some up after reading this post, love this beer! Also had the Hinterland Octoberfest and was pleasantly surprised.

Has O'So put out an Octoberfest? I did not see one from them.

Haven't seen one. Say New Glarus, Capital, Leinie's. I'm sure their were a few others at Woodman's the other day, but I don't remember seeing anything from O'So.

I was also reading somewhere the other day (facebook I think) that New Glarus is done shipping Staghorn for the year, so whatever's in the market now is all that's left.

This is definitely one that I wait for each year.

I got a bunch of this in my fridge too. For me it's perfect because by the time my Stag stock is depleted, it's Fat Squirrel season.

Haven't seen one. Say New Glarus, Capital, Leinie's. I'm sure their were a few others at Woodman's the other day, but I don't remember seeing anything from O'So.

Woodman's on the West side of Madison had at least 20 Octoberfest. Might go to Steve's and see if they have anything different. I was looking for Dogfish Punkin' then remembered they did not distribute to Wisconsin anymore.

I just tapped this and I am oh so happy. I will have a fire tonight after a Staghorn beer brat dinner cooked over a lump charcoal bbq. I have invited a few people over but if no one shows, more for me!

I just tapped this and I am oh so happy. I will have a fire tonight after a Staghorn beer brat dinner cooked over a lump charcoal bbq. I have invited a few people over but if no one shows, more for me!

f--k, i'll show!

i just had my uncle's oktoberfest. very similar to staghorn. he's a great brewer.

f--k, i'll show!

i just had my uncle's oktoberfest. very similar to staghorn. he's a great brewer.

Would your uncle be willing to share his recipe? I just got set up to lager and I want Staghorn to be my first!

Pretty please with cherries on top.... From one wisconsin Brewer to another.

You just can't beat a great WI beer with a fire and brats on the grill. Put a Brewer game on the radio and your night is set! Next time the grill is going let me know! :mug:

My invitation must have been lost in the mail, that's why I didn't show! :D

I really loved this years' Staghorn. I got my first glass of it in the airport in Milwaukee during my 4 hour layover home. The funny thing was in restaurant in the airport, my salad was $7, and my bar bill was $21. Typical lunch for me, I guess.

I thought the Staghorn was a wonderful Oktoberfest. It was malty and rich but balanced and not underattenuated. I was a big fan!

I just bought a sixer of their Uff-Da bock. another awesome lager.

i'm excited for their back 40 bock as well.

Would your uncle be willing to share his recipe? I just got set up to lager and I want Staghorn to be my first!

Pretty please with cherries on top.... From one wisconsin Brewer to another.

I'll second that!

I was just enjoying a Staghorn last night and thought to myself, "This is one damn good beer! I wish I had the recipe to brew it myself."

so, the bottle tag reads, "blah blah, midwest barley, the world's most expensive hops, blah blah..."

what do you suppose those are?

so, the bottle tag reads, "blah blah, midwest barley, the world's most expensive hops, blah blah..."

what do you suppose those are?

Well while the keg is long since empty, I did just send them an email requesting any info that would be helpful to attempt a clone recipe. SHOULD I get ANYTHING back of ANY use, I will post it up here...

I am about to kick my kegs of the Octoberfest I made in October. Anyone have a recipe they made that came out very Staghorn like? Mine was indeed a great Octoberfest, but it was very similar to traditional versions, not really like Staghorn. I'm looking for grain bill and yeast selection tips if you have any. Thanks! I'm hoping to get this brewed in the next 2 weeks, so I can lager a good 3 months and tap it around October 1st.

Wow here is a thread I did not expect to get rezzed...

This is what I know about NG. They will not share ANY info. with the home brew community. I have tried a few times until I got a reply that basically said that.

In spite I have created an Oktoberfest Ale that I have no idea how it is going to taste. It is still bulk aging. I plan to move the beer soon to an old Hoff-Stevens 1/2 bbl (Yea I have a LOT of this beer.) and naturally carb it in the 1/2 bbl and serve it as a "Real Ale" Oktoberfest possibly on a home made beer engine.

This is my recipe use it if you want, I have no idea how it will turn out... Also, I batch sparge.

O-fest

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WLP029 - kolsh
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.062
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 25
Boiling Time (Minutes): 70
Color: 10 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3.5 weeks at 65 degrees

5# Pils – full mod
5# Vienna
2.5# Munich
1# Aromatic
0.5# Caramunich
0.5# Caravienne
0.5# Carapils

Mash temps 152/156/168 degrees for 60/60/30 minutes.

1 oz. Tettnang 4.4% AA at 60 min.
0.5 oz Hallertau 4.2 % AA at 20 Min
0.5 oz. Hallertau 4.2% AA at 7 min

O.G. 1.062
F.G. 1.012

My Ofest posted above is still aging however. New Glarus -Staghorn is out today. While I do not agree with putting an Oktoberfest/Marzen style out in August I am still happy to see this one hit the shelves.

P-R-O-S-T!!!! :mug:

NG makes great beers. They are one of the largest volume craft brewers in the nation and they only sell to WI. :D

What does that say about WI? :drunk:

Its also my favorite Octoberfest. Many seem kinda cloying. Theirs is so clean and malty. I'll be back in WI in September. Can't wait.

After a whole summer of drinking nothing but pale ale, this was a welcome change to my drinking schedule. Attempting a clone next week using Kolsch yeast.

Back