First ever AG today!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck. The biggest thing for me was the mess at the end. Try to clean up as you go. It makes life so much easier when your done.

Let us know how it goes, good or bad. Write down all your numbers and enjoy the process. Staying relaxed makes it 100 times more fun.

So it took me about 5 hours start to finish. Made the Good Life Pale Ale from The joy of Brewing book. Next time I'm definitely gonna do a single infusion next time. Tried following the instructions and though I didn't quite hit 168 on mash out the conversion was complete according to the iodine test and I had almost 7 gallons to boil which was a little more than the book said I'd end with. The boil which went well minus a little boil over when my girlfriends father was watching it ended with 4.5 gallons instead of 6 through my counter flow chiller which worked awesome. My OG was high at 62-64 but luckily I had a gallon of filtered water left. Added that now at 5.5 gal with the correct OG of 56. All in all a learning experience. Looking forward to the next one. Have to give a big thanks to this forum. Made a three tier wooden brew sculptureish thing but it works. I also made a hop holder for my BK.

Congrats! Just finished my first Sun 1:30pm. .052 out a projected .069. Found the whole thing easier than expected except the wort chiller took forever!!! 1hr 15 and it was still at 80 degrees? I pitched the yeast at 79 and stuck into my ferm cooler, had to go to sleep worked the night before. I made a Gruit so even if it sucks I'll never know cause I've never drunk one before...lol hows that for denial.

I recently did my first AG as well. BIAB SMASH APA. Took me about 4.5 hours. I made about 30 mistakes and improvised about 15 fixes for those mistakes, and despite my best efforts to completely ruin the beer, it turned out perfect.

Congrats! Just finished my first Sun 1:30pm. .052 out a projected .069. Found the whole thing easier than expected except the wort chiller took forever!!! 1hr 15 and it was still at 80 degrees? I pitched the yeast at 79 and stuck into my ferm cooler, had to go to sleep worked the night before. I made a Gruit so even if it sucks I'll never know cause I've never drunk one before...lol hows that for denial.

This was the first time using my counter flow and it went pretty quickly. Way faster than sticking the pot in an ice water bath like i used to with extract. Tap water here is around 70'ish got the wort from boil to 80F so I was pretty happy.

It'll probably be one of the best beers you ever tasted. I know in mine i tasted malt flavor like i never had before. Good luck with how it turns out. And Congrats!

Back