Growing hops indoors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gclay

Reaction score
ok so when I get some plants going (this weekend) I may want to grow some indoors. For those of you who grow your own, I need to know do they stink? or do they just smell like purdy flowers.

I have no answers to your questions. I have a first year cascade in a container growing like mad. No smells that I can detect, good or bad. I've heard hops are difficult if not impossible to grow indoors--but again I cannot speak from experience.

You might find this story interesting.
http://***********/stories/article/indices/36-homebrew-stories/1925-high-rise-rhizome-last-call

I've grown hops for 3 years now. Mine are outside, and I've never noticed much of any smell from them. If you get close you can smell the lupin at certain times, but nothing major. They are big plants, and it would be difficult to grow them inside. They like lots of sunshine.

What would you grow them on? They are a vine and grab hold pretty good to what they can and wrap around it...and they can grow 12-15' tall. I think they would make a mess too at harvest time. Just wondering. Why indoors? Live in an apartment?

There's a video on youtube about these guys experimenting with hydroponic hops indoors. But like a greenhouse with tall ceilings or something. They say they can grow them bigger & faster. The hop industry in the US these days can use it.

We already have some vines growing indoors. I was just thinking that being so late in the season I'd just keep them indoors for now. But I guess I could put them in the garden now. How deep 3"?

Back