Stressed out 1056?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jclimacus

Reaction score
This sounds unusual. Tuesday night I brewed an Amber Ale, SG 1.070, pitched an appropriate starter with 1056, and stuck it in the swamp cooler. Yesterday morning it was chugging along wonderfully, though the kraeusen probably never broke an inch all day, probably not even half an inch. The temps, I'm pretty sure, stayed within 66 to 69. It may have peaked slightly at 70 for a short while, but I doubt it. By this morning everything was winding down, and tonight the kraeusen is all but gone. The hydrometer reading shows 1.023, but now there is a faint sulphur smell coming through as well. This means the yeast is stressed out, right? Does it sound like anything went wrong? I'm a little nervous because I planned on using the slurry for a big Imperial Stout.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

its been 2 days, why are you even checking it? its way too early to begin worrying about any issues

70 is still within the temp range of the yeast. You aren't stressing it out, but fermentation stinks sometimes. Lack of a krausen doesn't necessarily indicate lack of fermentation, either. Give it another week or two and then check the gravity and I bet that you'll be where you want to be.

2 days and at 1.023. That's good. Probably expect about 75% attenuation (varies on recipe specifics), which should end you up around 1.017.

Yeast slows down as it gets to the end. Another few days and you should be close. Then leave it for another 2 weeks (or more) to let it clean up and clear.

Back